Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

I wish I could create a Graphic Override to highlight walls that are off their intended angle

4hotshoes
Advisor
In plan view, It is common for wall ends to get moved without knowing. Then walls are no longer square or off from the intended angle. This can create multiple problems. It is difficult to know when a wall is off. it can be as little as .01 of an inch or angle. It is a very tedious process to find which ones are is off because you have to check all to know.

I would like a parameter that can be used by a GO. Then a simple flip of a switch will allow the user to do a quick model check to see which if any wall are off their intended angle. Multiple angles could be checked (0, 90, 45, 30) as the user sets up. Sketchup allows users to check if surfaces are off from being square by highlighting surfaces and lines in different colors.

I am aware that a label tool can be configured to indicate a walls angle, but this is useful but is also tedious. Then you have labels all over a project that only need to be seen for a moment of a check. I realize that the label could be placed upon its own special layer, but we have too many layers already.

If a label tool can read a wall angle, why can't a GO?

It seems like it could be an easy programming fix, compared to many others.
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
8 REPLIES 8
Eric Milberger
Advocate
It would be nice for other things like at least one side of a wall is on hte major grid
I hate in so many ways how complicated a plan becomes when a (for example) CMU wall is no longer shown as 8" but now 7 5/8"

It become very awkward as the edge that gets placed on an 8" grid gets messed up too easily and slows things down.

Like the detail or section but it slows down buidling a plan.
Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
henryL
Enthusiast
This wish has already been request in the past. If you have rhinoceros you can easily deconstruct walls and analize wall ends
Eric Milberger
Advocate
A Feature might also be a lock on the wall attibute
I'd keep it simple - a setting for a wall that is One angle and assume 90degree.
Set to zero the wall has to be 0 or 90.
Set to null and can be anything.
Axis lock
Barry Kelly
Eric wrote:
Axis lock
Just holding the SHIFT key while drawing the wall will lock it to predefined angles as set in your Work Environment.
Also the blue snap guides can be used - they don't lock the wall angle, but you will snap to them when the mouse is close.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
4hotshoes
Advisor
Barry wrote:
Eric wrote:
Axis lock
Just holding the SHIFT key while drawing the wall will lock it to predefined angles as set in your Work Environment.
Also the blue snap guides can be used - they don't lock the wall angle, but you will snap to them when the mouse is close.

Barry.
I don't have any problem drawing walls to a grid of using the shift lock as I draw. The problem is when the boss, or anyone who has less experience with Archicad jumps into a project and makes changes. Or worse will make changes like a stretch and then stretch it back by eye. No one knows that it was changed until later in the project when stuff does not line up right or dimension correctly. A quick way to highlight untrue elements would be an enormous help in trouble shooting.
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
Eric Milberger
Advocate
also could use a rule in snapping where all walls snapped to the left side or top side. Otherwise - just as a reality that is not always followed or noticed until you get mixed dimensions.

I build a building easier with only dimensions to one side of a wall. Measuring beyond that screws with a low end laborer.
kmitotk
Advocate

Yes, graphic override would be nice. For detecting non-orthogonal elements, this label (if you don't mind using the label tool) comes handy. https://bim6x.com/blog/fixing-untrue-models

Kei Mito

Architect | Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager
ArchiCAD 26 & 27 JPN USA & INT | Windows 10

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the discussion!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as IDEA-4528). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future. Personally, I think it would be a very useful feature!

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT