Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

IMPROVE ARCHICADS OPEN-GL

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad uses only one light source in Open-GL 3D-Window.
to set up this source we usually open 3D-Windows Settings,
or Camera settings AND USUALLY THIS IS ONLY "SUN". AND THIS OPERATION IS NOT VERY FAST!

Its not good because of it is often hardly to distinguish one parallel surface (equally colored) to another, even when rotating model different ways.For example when you exploring model at backward facade, you often see it all dark.

Look for example to Newtek Lightwave (it is all-purpose 3D program.)
(http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/)
They use 3 omny point lights for lighting in 3D-Open-GL Window, hardly linked to Open-GL camera.

1) Front light (imitation of sun, or some spotlight) is located at far far away 3/4 at left at top and behind of camera is usually coloured White

2) Back Light (imitation of light, reflected from the ground) Usually located at opposite side to camera, its mean - far in front of camera and 3/4 Right and lower. coloured to yellow-brown

3) Sky Light (Imitation of sky light) located at top of Open-GL camera. Coloured Light blue.

As a result the picture is always is lighten CORRECTLY (from artistic point of view)

--------------- Whish itself ---------- vvv

1. Add 2 point lights in 3D Open-GL window.
2. Hardly fix all 3 lights to OpenGL camera.
3. For those, who deal with Sun illumination of scene you have to
save option to switch to old method of OpenGL Lighting.
4. This time I am not mentioning Lamps in Open-GL (Like in 3DMAX)
------------------------------------------^^^

With best regards, Basil Popov, Russia
1 REPLY 1
David Collins
Advocate
I agree that the the lack of lighting solutions is currently the single most serious problem with OpenGL. I do most of my 3d navigating in "Doom" mode and its a pain to have to constantly drop out and drag the sun around so I can see what I'm looking at.

Shadow casting would be nice, too, while I'm wishing, but I can see how there would be performance problems there. A more flexible system of lighting is more urgently needed and shouldn't be too demanding on the system resources.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)