Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Import PDF

rm
Expert
Many have asked for this, GS seems to keep ignoring the need for PDF file import into PM. Thousands of Manufacturer specifications are written in PDF format.

HEY GS, what the heck is the problem? Why can't we get PDF file into PM 9.0. Are you guys ever going to implement this much needed feature?

This would also be helpful for schedules and specifications written in Excell and Word, as cutting and pasting works marginally well into PM from both of those file formats.

How about it GS.......care to chime in on this one?
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
PDF format is ubiquitous, let's get moving on doing something about or I'll move off of Graphisoft.
PDF is supposed a secure format for reliable and consistant printing, if we were able to place & or edit / crop pdf files it would no longer be a secure format, and for all intents and purposes we may as well distribute a dwg / ifc etc.
If you want to print pdf's do it from acrobat, if you need drawing info to include in your drawings get it from its author in a format that can be used in ArchiCAD.
PDF helps us keep the copyright to our drawings, we should not be seeking to dilute the security of this format.
Regards,

Scott
MSI Creator ZP16, i7-12700H, 32GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB
TomWaltz
Participant
HEY GS, what the heck is the problem? Why can't we get PDF file into PM 9.0. Are you guys ever going to implement this much needed feature?
PDF format is ubiquitous, let's get moving on doing something about or I'll move off of Graphisoft. Mad
The thing you have to realize is that Adobe charges manufacturers a pretty large amount of money t be able to import PDFs. Is it worth adding $100 or more to the cost of the next version to have this?

If not.... then I hope you enjoy whatever you switch to.
Tom Waltz
rm
Expert
Scott wrote:
PDF is supposed a secure format for reliable and consistent printing, if we were able to place & or edit / crop pdf files it would no longer be a secure format, and for all intents and purposes we may as well distribute a dwg / ifc etc.
If you want to print pdf's do it from acrobat, if you need drawing info to include in your drawings get it from its author in a format that can be used in ArchiCAD.
PDF helps us keep the copyright to our drawings, we should not be seeking to dilute the security of this format.

Scott, while your opinion is welcome, it seems that you missed the main point.

First: The "main" point of this post was not to be able to publish PDFs from PlotMaker; which as you should know can be done already from both ArchiCAD & PlotMaker, with or without Adobe Acrobat Professional.

Second: if I we were using AutoCADD instead of PlotMaker, we most certainly could get MORE manufacturers information text in a format acceptable for import, but I assume most people reading this use PlotMaker regularly.

Third: Yes it is true that one of the main benefits of PDf files is security. But what you missed here is the fact that there is no vehicle to import neither publicly produced PDFs, from a manufacturer that freely distributes them, and your own ability to produce and import PDFs, say for schedules, specifications, or images of work you have produced that you do want to protect!

As a matter of fact, a "secure" PDF can only be printed or manipulated by someone that has a password, you can even control printing quality and size. So unless you distribute the passwords to your protected pdf files, short of a hack attack, they are secure.

Im with you 100% in protecting copyright of documents, and I am not suggesting you copy anything illegally, nor would I condone that. However, I suspect most nations have strong copyright laws to protect their creative material, I know we do here in the US.

I hope I have cleared up the often requested need for PDFs in PM for you. Have a good one!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Ted Taylor
Contributor
The thing you have to realize is that Adobe charges manufacturers a pretty large amount of money t be able to import PDFs. Is it worth adding $100 or more to the cost of the next version to have this?
Yes! Less than one billable hour. I just spent that much time cleaning up shifted text and lines in importing construction notes from Excel into Plotmaker.
Ted Taylor
Atlanta, GA , USA
iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 32GB
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
OS10.14.2,
Latest Archicad 22
rm
Expert
TomWaltz wrote:

If not.... then I hope you enjoy whatever you switch to.

Tom as a courtesy, probably a good idea to capture the persons name associated with a quote. Combining quotes to make your point without names is a little misleading.

That said, incase you have not noticed virtually every major and minor graphic related program on the Mac side, and suspect this holds true for Windows too, imports PDFs. Even MS Word imports them.

So while there MAY be some cost charged by Adobe to license importing of PDFs, which I wonder where you get you figures on that from, I dought it is cost prohibitive. If we can get PDF import with MS word, a program that costs under $400.00 US, then I think a $4,000.00 US, "industry leading" software program should provide it too!

If you personally are responsible for paying for ArchiCAD at the company you work for, I think you know how much it costs. GS could absorb and amortize the licensing cost into each AC license easily, assuming a cost exists as you suggest.

What is rather confusing to me in your reply is your willingness to deny those who need PDF import from having it. Seems odd to me. My reseller tells me that this is feature requested by many resellers based on their clients (us) needs, but just keeps getting ignored by GS for some reason.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
rm
Expert
Ted wrote:

Yes! Less than one billable hour.

Ted,
Excellent point!!!!!!!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
gerd
Newcomer
absolutely necessary!

in the meantime we can use ghostscript, ghostview and pstoedit to convert pdf to dxf.
the dxf is only version 10, but it can be imported in archicad or plotmaker. of course many things have to be changed after the import, this is not the easy way.

the other possibility for people who work with 2d graphic software or layout software is to import pdf there and export is also as dxf.

I'm sure, graphisoft can do this better.
Vitruvius
Contributor
I'd throw my support behind the 'import PDF' bandwagon as well.

I doubt the cost of integrating it is $100.

As mentioned, MS Word imports it and it costs $400. I can't imagine a word processing programme owned by Microsoft is paying 25% of their gross to Adobe!! Especially as they're a word processing programme and not a high end graphics programme!!

It would be a very useful feature in my opinion.

Cheers,
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur