Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Import PDF

rm
Expert
Many have asked for this, GS seems to keep ignoring the need for PDF file import into PM. Thousands of Manufacturer specifications are written in PDF format.

HEY GS, what the heck is the problem? Why can't we get PDF file into PM 9.0. Are you guys ever going to implement this much needed feature?

This would also be helpful for schedules and specifications written in Excell and Word, as cutting and pasting works marginally well into PM from both of those file formats.

How about it GS.......care to chime in on this one?
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
17 REPLIES 17
Aussie John
Newcomer
I thought PDF even though invented by Adobe, was in a way open source hence it is built into the Mac OS.
If Adobe got $100 for every application that could import PDFs they could well be richer than Microsoft. I could be wrong but I am not sure they get any royalties for it.
As for importing PDF - yes
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree. There are so many other third party apps out there that can.
I import .pdf in Corel Draw save as high res .jpg insert into PM crop what I want and I am done.
rm
Expert
hhd801 wrote:
I agree. There are so many other third party apps out there that can.
I import .pdf in Corel Draw save as high res .jpg insert into PM crop what I want and I am done.
hhd801,

are you agreeing that PM should import .pdf files directly, or that it is not needed. Hard to tell from your message.

Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
My point was that I feel PM and AC has no excuse not to have the ability to import if so many other programs out there can. The corel issue was a quick work around for anyone that needed it.

Sorry for the confusion
owen
Newcomer
Shameless b**p

I just received a series of Thermal Performance Compliance Certificates from our environmental engineer which need to be placed on the coversheet of our DA set.

Surprisingly these were in that little known global standard document format PDF. Unfortunately AC10 cannot import PDF's ... we need to do something really dumb > convert them into a JPG. Seriously.

Courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format:

Portable Document Format (PDF) is an open standard file format, proprietary to Adobe Systems ... PDF is also an open standard in the sense that anyone may create applications that read and write PDF files without having to pay royalties to Adobe Systems; Adobe has a number of patents relating to the PDF format, but licenses them on a royalty-free basis for use in developing software that complies with the PDF specification.

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/support/topic_legal_notices.html

PDF is increasingly becoming 'The World Standard' format for document transfer. Personally I think it already is. Every single application I use on a daily basis can Import/Create PDF files .... Oh wait except one. Archicad 10

Bottom line GS - This is not good enough. We use PDF all day, every day .. more than JPG, TIFF, whatever. You have the resources. Fix it. It shouldn't wait another two years until AC11. It can be done now.

This topic has over 50 Important+ votes ... which by the standards of the wish lists is a pretty resounding Yes Please!. And its been that way for some time.

So are you listening to us or not? A response would be nice ... if there is a strong technical reason preventing it i'm all ears

This really shouldn't be an issue.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Aussie John
Newcomer

How about file>>external content>> place external drawing
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
owen
Newcomer

thats priceless. too much time at my desk this week - time to go home!

I actually tried to do that via the Drawing Tool and all the PDF files were greyed out. Being tired and prone to jumping to conclusions I assumed that as the AC browser was giving me a PDF icon, I assumed it recognised them as PDFs and that therefore PDF Import was still not available (now i remember it being in the New Features guide).

However what I hadn't checked was that PDF was in the format types available ... I kinda assumed that if I had All Available Types active it would pick them up if it could ... so i never pulled down that menu.

You made me go back and look again. It seems that the engineer has thrown in an extra full stop in the document name, which as it was truncated I never saw:

S4053 6z Lot 13 ABSA Thermal performance v6.1 Rev B spec block.pdf

So now knowing it is supposed to work I figure that extra dot must be causing AC headaches, despite it aparently knowing it was a PDF.

And that was the problem. I copied and renamed the file and it picked it up (see attached showing original and renamed files via AC browser).

Anyway .... my bad. Even though GS track record on these things does lend itself to making these assumptions I should have asked again first.

I apologise. Thanks for giving us direct PDF links!
cheers,

Owen Sharp

owen
Newcomer
Actual scratch that about the extra full stop. I shortened the name too in that example .. just tried again deleting only the . and it didn't work

Its the 27 character limit!
cheers,

Owen Sharp