BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Importing Details

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it would be fantastic to be able to merge details from one project into another. In fact, I think archicad users should be able to have a file just with details that can be utilized and imported into any project. If there is any way to actually merge details I would love to know the way. Currently we copy and paste details into files we are working on because most of the projects we work on use all the same details.

Thanks,
David J Vincent
14 REPLIES 14
TomWaltz
Participant
DavidJVIncent wrote:
I think it would be fantastic to be able to merge details from one project into another. In fact, I think archicad users should be able to have a file just with details that can be utilized and imported into any project. If there is any way to actually merge details I would love to know the way. Currently we copy and paste details into files we are working on because most of the projects we work on use all the same details.

Thanks,
David J Vincent
Amen, brother. (Don't forget to vote for your own poll!)

Though you may want to make your subject a bit more obvious, like "Importing Details" to attract more attention.
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
Essential IMHO.

While I imagine something akin to Attribute Manager for doing this, I wonder if a more general solution might not be the following: a means of publishing the desired details to a folder (we have that now) and (new) a means of importing/merging the contents of a folder (or multiple-selected files) so that each is imported into a new independent detail window with one user command. This latter import would then give an easy way to suck in a bunch of DWG details as well as details publishes as MODules (or 2DL). There could be an option to use a hotlink/xref instead of an actual merge perhaps...

Wishing with you,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl wrote:
This latter import would then give an easy way to <b>[censored]</b> in a bunch of DWG details as well as details publishes as MODules (or 2DL).
I am curious as to what are you thinking of doing to those innocent details.
TomWaltz
Participant
Karl wrote:
This latter import would then give an easy way to <b>[censored]</b> in a bunch of DWG details as well as details publishes as MODules (or 2DL).
what in the world did you say that was censored there???
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
All I want to do, that I think would be great is to be able to create a new independent details file called Details.pln. The idea would be to have a file with only details that are used often and can be built upon, then when a project is underway simply import the details from the main details file into the current one. This way a Firm could have an entire database of details and could just reuse details rather than always have to create them. This would in turn give a firm more play time and less work while at the same time increase profits.
Djordje
Ace
DavidJVIncent wrote:
All I want to do, that I think would be great is to be able to create a new independent details file called Details.pln. The idea would be to have a file with only details that are used often and can be built upon, then when a project is underway simply import the details from the main details file into the current one. This way a Firm could have an entire database of details and could just reuse details rather than always have to create them. This would in turn give a firm more play time and less work while at the same time increase profits.
If you have independent details (e.g. fence, driveway details, etc), you can use them in PlotMaker. The problem here is referencing - which can be partially solved by merging your Independent detail file with the main one, but the referencing has to be done semi-manually ...

Essential, of course!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Ignacio wrote:
Karl wrote:
This latter import would then give an easy way to <b>[censored]</b> in a bunch of DWG details as well as details published as MODules (or 2DL).
I am curious as to what are you thinking of doing to those innocent details.
Well, I was trying to say "s.u.c.k in" ...

[tried with blanks in between, and still wouldn't allow it]
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
DavidJVIncent wrote:
If you don't mind manually merging each detail, then you have this ability today in MODule files.

Create all of your details in Details.pln as you say, and create a Publisher set that publishes the proper view of each detail as a MOD file. Use a meaningful folder structure for organization if you have lots of details.

Then in your new project, just use the Merge command in an independent detail window to bring in (almost said s.u.c.k. in again) the desired detail.

Of course, you can create the details in as many files as you want, and just publish them to the common folder structure.

Does that do it for you?

Karl
Aussie John
Newcomer
Your idea Karl is certainly a workaround but precludes pulling a detail out of a particular project and not neccesarily a details file. And a minor point as far as I know merges into an independant detail dont work - You need to merge onto the plan first then cut and paste.

Actually the ability to merge a detail is a great wish but even better if the saved view comes in too.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Learn and get certified!