BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Improve Settings Management for Element ID Manager

Karl Ottenstein
A fellow user has noted a problem with the Element ID Manager settings:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=10306#10306

These settings are stored (for Windows people - not sure for Mac) at:
c:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Graphisoft\EIDM

To share a created setting, this folder needs to be physically copied to another user's settings folder on the same or different machines at present. Unfortunately, copying it will wipe out any settings that already exist for that other user. Not a real solution.

This simple wish is that EIDM settings be managed more flexibly, consistently and intelligently - perhaps using the same approach as that used by the Interactive Scheduler (IS) (see the Settings dialog). With the IS, the default location is a sibling of the folder above ... but one can (a) change the location to a different folder - for example a location on a network drive, or at least one that is more likely to be backed up and (b) import selected settings from a different folder.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
3 REPLIES 3
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
To share a created setting, this folder needs to be physically copied to another user's settings folder on the same or different machines at present. Unfortunately, copying it will wipe out any settings that already exist for that other user. Not a real solution.
I would expand this to (following partly Michelle's wish) to a ... let's call it a snapshot? ... way of being able to save ALL your setting within the current ArchiCAD file AND/OR a separate snapshot file. That would enable CAD management over network(s), unify working environment, ease working at different locations. Maybe by user? Or project? And, to make matters worse, it should be crossplatform (e.g. you have a Mac at home and a PC at work, or vice versa).
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Djordje wrote:
I would expand this to (following partly Michelle's wish) to a ... let's call it a snapshot? ... way of being able to save ALL your setting within the current ArchiCAD file AND/OR a separate snapshot file. That would enable CAD management over network(s), unify working environment, ease working at different locations. Maybe by user? Or project?
Agree. A better long-term wish ... and with export capabilities then too (IS can only import). Then, something like Attribute Manager can be used to bring in selected settings for all of these other things ... or to create a settings file like the current aat that can be given to someone to selectively import things into their project.

Don't forget to vote, or is the moderator not allowed to? 😉

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Aussie John
Newcomer
Having the setting reside on a computer caught me out badly as i often travel to the Main office ( interstate) and my schedule wasnt there any longer.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Learn and get certified!