BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Improvement of Modules (In-place editing and others)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Modules are the way to go for repeating building elements like 'standard' stories for repeating housing. But the use of them is very complicated. You have to edit them in a separate ArchiCad and after that update hotlinks, or you must split and remake them.
Both methods have big disadvantages, in separate ArchiCad you lose the context of your module. With the 'split-method' you easily forget to add newly made parts to the remake of the module.
I dream of 'in place editing', where you can edit the module in place, where the context becomes grey (like editing a curtain wall). And when you close the editing of the module, all similar modules update.
It would be fantastic when 'embedded modules' are added, similar to 'embedded libraries'. And otherwise, a folder in the project could behave as 'module-library' folder, so you can change the path of multiple modules at once (for migrating projects to laptop or other server). There's also another treat on this last aspect.
We like ArchiCad, but 'modules' is (almost) the only feature that we very dislike in everydays practice.
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am reading this wish and I say this would be great.
Especially the in-place editing. (Actually I modified the title of your wish so it is more descriptive for others.)
I believe Revit has something like this called Groups. You have a group of elements that may be multiplied in other places in the Project. When you editing any instance of the group in-place all other group instances update.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I agree. I have a great deal of frustration with modules. I think they still need quite a bit of work by GS. Here's one of the "others" that need fixing while they're at it:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=32262
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Reusje wrote:
in separate ArchiCad you lose the context of your module. .
For this alone I voted essential. Back referencing the host file for context is a major inconvenience and requires too much unnecessary work, not just importing back into the module file, but setting up specific layers, breaking nested hotlinks, etc.

The idea of editing in context is extremely appealing to me! Fantastic concept!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is definitely a great idea! Essential!

Now that ArchiCAD has an embedded library to store objects, do you think we are any closer to being able to store modules internally?

There might even be the opportunity to list them in the navigator, and any placed on the floorplan could be conveniently linked back.

The edit-in-place workflow that the curtainwall tool has seems to work well, and could be adopted for modules too.

...Just throwing some thoughts and ideas out there!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been pushing for this (or something very like it) for years. Naturally I voted "essential".
Learn and get certified!