BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Inches as the default (imperial units)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most architects work in inches not feet, i.e. distances are usually defined in inches or feet-inches. Rarely (1-in-12 chance) are units exactly one foot incremetnts.

So 1-out-of-10 times I am golden. Pretty bad odds. It should be the other way around or at least an option in the preference panel.

Actually the balance is probably even more scewed. Think of all the wall thicknesses, GDL paramaeters, offsets, column sizes, dimension settings, etc. Most of our CAD life revovles around inches and not feet.
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable
I doubt you'll get much support. Most ArchiCADders have adjusted. But I certainly you do get support.

This should be optional.

A little tip: Use the "/" key on the number pad instead of the inches sign.
If you are doing a fraction of an inch (IE 1/4") all you have to do is type "1/4". If you want 4" all you have to do is type "4/".
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alex wrote:
If you are doing a fraction of an inch (IE 1/4") all you have to do is type "1/4". If you want 4" all you have to do is type "4/".
Thanks for the hint. (although it should be an option)
Alex wrote:
That's a big tip. Typing " is a pain. I can remember on about day 6 of using AC5 saying to myself, I wish " didn't require shift.

Portable users will be glad to know that the regular slash key works too.

Where is this written down? I'm almost certain it's not in the manual, having checked every instance of "coordinate box" in both parts. It should either be in Coordinate Box discussion in chapter 2, or the Entering Numeric Coordinates discussion in chapter 5, with the treatment of feet/inches punctuation.

Sorry to go OT, but it's really poor to have a piece of fundamental data entry missing (or impossible to find) in the manual, especially one that would save a couple hundred keystrokes a day.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't found this written down anywhere. This seems to be one of those "features" that GS never intended, but I am more than willing to take advantage of. Hope they don't get rid of it, like they did to deleting the user origin with the delete key. (You used to be able to select the custom user origin and press delete. Went away with 8.1.)
Erika Epstein
Booster
Alex,
What am I missing?
When I type 4/ in AC, I get 4/ not 4"?
Thanks
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Erika wrote:
Alex,
What am I missing?
When I type 4/ in AC, I get 4/ not 4"?
Thanks
When using the text tool, that is the case. / works for " in the coordinate box.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Erika Epstein
Booster
Dave,

ahh...the coordinate box!
Thanks
Erika
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Erika,

I should have mentioned that it works when defining parameters as well.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I may be missing something here, but, I work in inches quite often and have not experienced too much hassle with it. When creating the main structure I set my working units to feet and fractional inches and when I'm detailing millwork etc. I set them to fractional or decimal inches, when I want 14" i type in 14 and thats all, I just wish that this preference could be associated with views so I wouldn't have to manually change it each time.
Learn and get certified!