Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Increase the number of available Reference Levels

Anonymous
Not applicable
This would make working with multiple split levels, on the same story, easier. I'd set a reference level for each floor slab level.

At the moment, with only 3 reference levels, really only one is available for use, as one is usually set to Sea Level, and another to Project Zero.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to add and remove as many reference levels as I need.
23 REPLIES 23
gpowless
Advocate
You can have as many levels as you want already so this wish is redundant, but it would seem impractical to go beyond identifying slab levels in most cases.

What would be better in my opinion, would be to be able to turn on and turn off levels based on individual section markers, or insert level lines in sections as needed.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless wrote:
You can have as many levels as you want already so this wish is redundant...
You can have as many stories as you want but only three reference levels.

I vote "essential" for this one. It has beed a long standing wish of mine to not only have more global reference levels but also story related sub-levels. This is an area where ArchiCAD needs to catch up to (or surpass) Revit. The Revit levels, while a bit clunky to use, are way ahead of anything else I have seen.

A few uses off the top of my head:

GLOBAL
- Building height limit
- Multiple ridge & eaves elevations

STORY SUB-LEVELS
- Split level elevations
- Door/window sill/head heights
- Ceiling Plan levels (with associated view option settings)

LINK LEVELS
- Story elevations of hot-linked files
owen
Newcomer
Who voted 'Not Needed'??

Stories are NO substitute for Reference Levels .. you really cannot use them in the same way as it breaks so many things operating across stories .. such as stairs, lifts, etc.

(I think this is actually a problem with some of the tools themselves and how they work with stories - e.g Stairs making the assumption they only ever pass from L1 to L2, not say L1 to L3 bypassing L2 - but fixing that is a much bigger task so leave it for the moment)

Having unlimited reference levels to which you could attach object elevations would be immensely useful such as all the items Matthew listed.

quadruple essential from me

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely essential, if you expect your model to be used for construction purposes.
This inability that AC has to give you more than 2 reference levels is not tolerable. Not being a programmer, I would guess that having more than 2 would not be such a big programing investment, and the benefits would be HUGE.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Krippahl wrote:
Absolutely essential, if you expect your model to be used for construction purposes.
This inability that AC has to give you more than 2 reference levels is not tolerable. Not being a programmer, I would guess that having more than 2 would not be such a big programing investment, and the benefits would be HUGE.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Essential, plus Elements should at least have the ability to obtain their height values from these Reference Levels, like Top of Wall 300 millimeters below Finished Floor Level of Story. But that's another wish.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
What kind of drawings would you want to annotate relative to more than Seal Level, Datum, or Project Zero ?

We have the gravity tool for annotating plan views to any bench mark elevation we want to set. In sections, we can use dimension. I don't know where I would use more that 3 reference levels even if we did have them.

Perhaps it's not for annotaion that you want this. ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
No, it is not for annotation I am talking about but for modelling.
It is kind of like constraints in Revit.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
I see. I would vote for that.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25