BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Increased Licensing Flexibility

Anonymous
Not applicable
This wish is based on this thread about Graphisoft's policy of only allowing licenses to be split when all licenses on the network key are up to date. This means that users are unable to change their license arrangements to suit their changing business requirements (i.e. downsizing) without paying to update all of their licenses first. I think this is less likely to be a problem in the future as Select Subscriptions are required with purchases and upgrades, and if users think ahead, they should be able to avoid this problem. But nonetheless if people aren't aware of this policy, or choose not to upgrade every year, they may get caught out.

So the specific wish is that Graphisoft would allow users to change their license arrangements for a reasonable price.

What a reasonable price is could be debated, but it was pointed out to me in the thread I mentioned above that we have previously saved money by having several licenses on the one network key, and that we don't have a support agreement to cover work on the network key, and so a reasonable price might the amount we saved plus a fee to change the license arrangement in lieu of a Select Subscription. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this, or the wish generally?
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would also like more flexibility regarding the transfer of license and subscriptions.

Regarding transfers:
I assume that the transfer of a license is a simple matter of verifying the origional owner wants to stop using it and the new owner wants to start. Then updating who owns that license I can't imagine the effort on Graphisoft's part takes more than an hour. So lets say it takes 2 hours…at $150 an hour that would be $300. What is the reason for it to be $1200?

Regarding subscriptions:
If I pay $5000 for software and a +$500 for a subscription that must be paid along with the purchase of the software then it is actually $5500. Then I am on the hook each year after that if I want to keep getting updates, have any support or avoid a high upgrade fee. It feels like I will be held hostage if I want to purchase software.

I know autodesk is worse. I know that there problems with adobe's solution. However it is feeling like small and medium sized businesses are getting priced out of what the larger businesses can absorb.
Learn and get certified!