BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Info box information for documentation tool

sarahric
Contributor
It would be great to see in the info box the measurements of the documentation tools (ie line, polygon, circle, etc), so that when you select it you can see the dimensions of it, and be able to change it from there.
Also to have the origin there so you can change it.
ArchiCAD 18/Windows 7/16GB Memory/i5 3.2GHz Processor/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I understand correctly, you want to present data from a panel of "Element information" in the Info box?
Do you know of the existence of the panel "Element information"?
sarahric
Contributor
Hi Valery,
Yes, I have the element Information box open as well, but it doesn't tell me everything. If I draw a rectangle with either the line tool or polyline tool, it only tells me the entire length of the line, not the height and width of the box.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. In this case, you must determine the priority is how to draw a box. For the X and Y, or that way?
2012-03-08_2124.png
sarahric
Contributor
Not sure what you mean. The picture seems irrelevant to the topic.
My issue is having the information available about an element, in this example a rectangle, and not knowing it's dimensions. Simple information, but not available.
I know what size the element is when I draw it, but if later I've forgotton or if I want to change it to a certain size but don't know what I'm starting with, I have to measure it first. Having this information would make the process quicker and simpler.
Barry Kelly
I think what Valery is saying is that this is fine if you have a line or a rectangle.
But as soon as it is an irregular shape or out of square where do you measure it from?
Any rectangular polygon in Archicad can be edited into any shape at any time so there is probably no distinction (as far as Archicad is concerned) between a rectangular and an irregular polygon.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, Barry. The problem is how to determine the dimensions of the irregular polygon. And how to determine the dimensions of the rectangle when its sides are not parallel to the axes X / Y ?
sarahric
Contributor
so why is there a line tool and a polyline tool, both which can make rectangles? Surely it would be simple to have this information in the line tool.

This is the 3rd cad program I've used and the only one that doesn't do this. I find it also very useful to know the length of a line, and the xy co-ordinates. If it's a horizontal line and y=0 I know it's straight. Also useful.
Barry Kelly
sarahric wrote:
so why is there a line tool and a polyline tool, both which can make rectangles? Surely it would be simple to have this information in the line tool.

This is the 3rd cad program I've used and the only one that doesn't do this. I find it also very useful to know the length of a line, and the xy co-ordinates. If it's a horizontal line and y=0 I know it's straight. Also useful.
The line tool actually places 4 separate (but grouped) lines and not actually a rectangle.
The polyline will draw a rectangle but as i said it only needs to have a single node moved or one of the sides altered and it is no longer a rectangle.
So Archicad doesn't seem to care if it is a rectangle or not as it is just a polygon that happens to be a rectangular shape.

I know where you are coming from as I have also used other software.
But once you get used to the Archicad ways thaey are really not all that bad.
I (and I assume most others) would not contruct a plan with single walls or rectanlgles.
Most walls will span over a number of rooms so the overall length may be totally meaningless.
And the rooms may not be rectangular and even if they were there would be no need for individual rectangular slabs or walls.

In other software you would select an existing line to find it's length in an "info" box or similar.
In Archicad just move the user origin (hold ALT & Shift together and wave you mouse over the node you want to measure from).
Once the user origin is set you can then move your mouse to any position and get the X, Y, actual distance and angle in the co-ordinate palette.
It can be the distance between any two points - not just along a line.
And you can measure multiple distances wihtout having to select anything else.
Not the same method but you get the same result.

Then there is the measure tool - press "M" and then click two points.
Or using the tracker you can select your line (wall) and then stretch one end to see the length and angle.

The problem with having the length of a line or rectangle in the info box is that it will only work for a single line or perfect rectangle.
The Archicad way works for any situation.

Sorry for the length of post.
Not ranting - just trying to explain.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!