Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Input constraints to the horizontal and vertical

David Wylie
Participant
99 percent of my inputs are horizontal or vertical (e.g. horizontal or vertical lines, walls etc.).
In order to constrain my input to the horizontal or vertical, I have to hold-down the shift key whilst moving the cursor to avoid snapping on to a nearby element.
Can an option be created in the 'User preference schemes/ Input constraints and guides' that offers a choice:
'Constrain the cursor to the horizontal or vertical when the shift key is pressed'
or
'Always constrain the cursor to the horizontal or vertical and press 'shift' to overide'
David Wylie
AC 19
Windows 10
Quad-core i7
8Gb RAM
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't know of any such specific setting.
The closest thing is Snap Guides. When you input the first point of an element, as you move your cursor, horizontal and vertical Snap Guides appear when you cursor is close enough to the horizontal/vertical direction. If you then click, the next point will be constrained to the horizontal/vertical direction without you having to press SHIFT.
In the Work Environment Dialog's Input Constraints and Guides page, the "Cursor Snap Range" field control how close you have to move your cursor. To make this more accurate, you might want to use a higher value than the default 5. The highest possible value is 9 pixels.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Wylie
Participant
Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't do what I was hoping for.
I just wanted to move the cursor around the screen quickly, contrained by the vertical and horizontal so I could set-out orthogonal walls and lines without having to press the shift key all the time.
David Wylie
AC 19
Windows 10
Quad-core i7
8Gb RAM