Wishes forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent Linetypes

Paul King
Advocate
I would love to see complex linetypes with the ability for their individual component parts to interact in thier own right when required:

- To trim neatly against an intersecting angled element (currently must either stop short or run over length). eg just try trimming an insulation line type around a mitred corner using the current tool !!

- To be individually snappable

- To allow components consisting of fills - with different pencolour to fill vs outline vs background

- To allow on screen dynamic spacing/setout of repeating elements on the fly, without necessarily requiring a new definition for each variation

I accept this would make them much more resource hungry, and so this functionality would need to apply to a distinct category of linetype - accessed only when needed

The current alternative is to manually array repeated items - monstrously inefficient when the array also needs the properties of a single dynamically adjustable element, including ability to rubber band, trim, curve etc

In effect you would be creating a new, much faster and much more untuitive method method of copying and grouping repeated elements

In principle, could even consist of 3D components!

What do others think?

PAUL KING
https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-25
Octane Render Plugin for ArchiCAD
Twinmotion 2021
Windoze 10
Intel Core i9 10900K
Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080
32 Gb DDR3
2x4K monitor extended desktop
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a good idea. Designers use lines and sketching before we commit to wall types, etc.

I have another wish, similar to "intelligent lines."

Since I use lines to "sketch" and outline buildings I would love it if I could click on a line that I may have placed earlier and be able to read the length of that line.

I often layout a project, but forget my assumptions and dimensions. This means drawing another line, or using the dimension tool to confirm earlier decisions.

How great it would be to just click on a line I may have placed an hour ago and see the length of it.

__archiben
Newcomer
Jay wrote:
How great it would be to just click on a line I may have placed an hour ago and see the length of it.
and more?

mate - that's what the element information palette does:

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup

Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Jay wrote:
and more?

mate - that's what the element information palette does:

~/archiben
how about the info pallet showing me the angle of the line?

Anonymous
Not applicable
You learn something every day. Thank you, again.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!