BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Intersection priority exception for Tee walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
This wish is to have a global (?) setting that says something like:
"protect surface materials at tee joints, even if they are lower priority than the core material"

There may be other scenarios too, but I'm trying to keep this wish as simple as possible in a highly complex area of Archicad.

Hopefully the attached picture says it all, but I'll also type it out to help this wish to be found by text searches...

In some specific circumstances, a 'weak' priority building material needs to be allowed to 'trump' or be stronger than a material that is actually assigned a higher intersection priority.
This is a situation where the 'greater-than' priorities actually need to loop (reminiscent of the old rock-paper-scissors game - everything beats something)

The most obvious/simple example I have found is in a Tee intersection, specifically where the two core materials are different (When they are the same, they clean up with each other and stop before breaching the weaker surface material)

Changing the priority of the outer plasterboard material to be higher than the two core materials merely makes the other intersections useless, because then the plasterboard breaks through the inside corners of the Tee
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
It can be done if you set your insulated and uninsulated stud BMs to have the same priority and then have your plasterboard to have a lower priority.
So long as you don't mind that the insulated stud will not penetrate the uninsulated stud.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry, that's a good comment. Yes I was aware of that, and it's certainly worth noting while we're in workaround mode, but as you've noted yourself, it only really shifts the problem to the next topic. I've found as I've solved each problem I just end up working around in a circle back to where I started. It really is a rock-paper-scissors dilemma. A question that could be worthy of debate is just where is the best place to break that cycle. My suggestion is one option only.

That screencapture I took was actually a simplified scenario, so here's a screenshot of my actual current scenario, showing the problem on the right, and the result I'm aiming for on the left (the exterior of the building is at the bottom). As you can see, it IS important that the insulation continue across the stud to meet the outer insulation.

Unfortunately, to get the screenshot on the left, I had to make the exterior insulation stronger than the interior insulation.... which then caused incorrect junctions elsewhere in the building....

I have 'solved' those with clunky workarounds using reference line tweaks and pieces of "special case" wall defninitions.
Learn and get certified!