Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

It's improtant to Improve or perfect GDL Function

Anonymous
Not applicable
GDL is good at describing geometry object, yes, it's quite good. But there are lots of things we have to do is no-geometrical. For example, variable type convertion.

We can convert a numeric variable to string type, but we can not convert backward. So we need tips and tricks to walk around. It's too desponding.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that some more string functions would be nice to have. I have ended up doing some curious bits of code to parse text and such like in GDL. I even had to make a word wrap routine for a special note symbol. THAT was a challenge.

While I'm on the subject, I have often thought it would be nice to be able to include an editable text field into a library part (like the text part of a label or dimension) so the user could type direcly into it instead of having to open the settings dialog. Now that we have the new interactive hotspots (HOORAY) maybe this could come sometime too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew Lohden,
Mmm, what you said is just what I feel.
You know, I come from China. I am not good at English. Sometime, I don't know how to express my feeling.

Not only string function, but also environment function, I/O function...etc. I think AutoLISP is better in these aspects.

I think Graphisoft should make GDL more like a programming language, not only a script.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:
While I'm on the subject, I have often thought it would be nice to be able to include an editable text field into a library part (like the text part of a label or dimension) so the user could type direcly into it instead of having to open the settings dialog.
Not quite the same thing but I an object I use a lot is a just a cube ( rect in plan) that uses the object ID as its text describer.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
Not quite the same thing but I an object I use a lot is a just a cube ( rect in plan) that uses the object ID as its text describer.
I've been doing that for years but it's only 15 characters max. Not quite enough for any but very short notes.