Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

LABELING IN GENERAL

Cosmin Ghioanca
Contributor
In order to support the draftsman the program need to output 2 essential principles: information and liberty. I am an architect, a draftsman and a P.M.; for few projects all together. Working with ArchiCAD from version 6.5 I've noticed that some aspects didn't change at all or just a little. One of those is the label tool. From the next version of the program I do expect a new label tool that can understand the composites, the surfaces and then it let's us change those by a simple double click (just like text tool does. It's such a simple aspect to be considered and it gives so much time back to the user.
Archicad 6-6.5-9-10-11-13-15-16-18-20-21-22-23

64-bit OS Windows 10 Pro

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40 GHz CPU

AMD Radeon HD 5670 GPU

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 512(500)GB SATA

WDC WD10EALX-009BA0 1TB(931)GB SATA

WD MyPassport 259F 1TB(931)GB USB3
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
You mean you want to amend the label and have it adjust the materials in the wall?
I don' think that will happen any time soon.
How could you have a label change the composite structure of a wall if you don't already have a composite wall made up as you want it to be.

The label simply reports what information you want from the wall (or any other element).
Simply change the wall and the label will update.
So create a wall with the composites you want, change the wall to that composite structure and the label will change automatically.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Not what I've proposed at all.

Hello, Barry. Thank you for your reply, but I was suggesting that the composite label tool should let us edit it with a simple double click. Also, there is a difference in what we use as a code name for all materials e.g. M301_BCA White Brick Masonry and section description for the same material e.g. 300 mm Yt_ng A+ Masonry and adhesive in a thin layer - usually we need to change that us a custom text in the settings menu. A double click on the text, or right-click, edit on the object would be faster. Thank you again for your support!

Archicad 6-6.5-9-10-11-13-15-16-18-20-21-22-23

64-bit OS Windows 10 Pro

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40 GHz CPU

AMD Radeon HD 5670 GPU

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 512(500)GB SATA

WDC WD10EALX-009BA0 1TB(931)GB SATA

WD MyPassport 259F 1TB(931)GB USB3

It depends on what type of label you are using.

If you are using an 'autotext' label, then that text will edit just like any other text does.

You can use plain text (won't get info from the element) or autotext that will get information from the element the label is attached to and this text is fully editable as you want.

If you are using an 'object' label, then they are GDL scripted labels and the text is not editable like standard text would be.

The text is controlled in the GDL scripts so you can only control the content by altering the parameters (if they allow for options) or by altering the element the label is attached to.

Text in GDL objects is not editable in the same way as standard text is.

So your wish would be to make text displayed by an object (including object labels), be editable inn the same way as standard text is.

I am not sure that would be possible, because the text in an object is either derived from calculations in the script (in the case of labels it can be info obtained from the associated element), or it is manually typed into a parameter by the user and then that parameter value is displayed in the script.

It would be nice if parameter values in object text could be edited directly on screen, rather than going into the object parameter settings, but that defeats the purpose in a label as that derives the info directly from the associated element and not a user input parameter value.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11