BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Launch a new instance as default

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would really love to see the possibility to make "Launch a new instance of Archicad" as default so I don´t have to check it every time. Hopefully this would allow me to open a file from the finder window to without closing the old drawing. I have still to find a use for the the function of closing the old drawing automatically. That's just stupid unless you are using a really old computer.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
While I agree that this would be nice there are some issues that can come up. Multiple sessions of ArchiCAD can jam up even the most powerful machines (especially with multiple OSs running as I often do) and the present setup (besides easing/enabling the multi-sessions on the Mac) also fixes problems that we used to have when Windows would launch multiple sessions by default.

The .lck files may have fixed this as well but I can recall clients on Windows who would unwittingly launch multiple sessions of the same project by double clicking the file in Windows Explorer. Kind of a beginner mistake I know, but a big problem for anyone who did it and GS has to keep these sorts of things in mind also.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You make a valid point, but all I ask for is the possibility to make it default by checking a box somewhere. So if you experience problems you just leave that box uncecked.

Your explenation would also explain why the program works as it does. It is because GS haven't been able to rectify some old programingproblems rather than it being the way it is because it's a good idea. I can't think of any other program that works this way!?
Dave Jochum
Advocate
This won't make the first page of AC wishes by any stretch, but it's a very annoying little quirk of the program for me. I am constantly opening a second project and prefer to do it with a quick keyboard shortcut rather than mousing to the recent projects list. It's just a useless step that I occasionally forget as I'm moving quickly thinking about my work and not the program. We have the option of it being automatic in the recent projects list--that should also apply to the Open... command.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Learn and get certified!