Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Layer Settings Dialogue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would'nt it be good if...

When opening up Layer Settings Dialogue, the currently selected elements related layer is highlighted. This would make it quicker to lock/make layers invisible.
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
csparchitects wrote:

When opening up Layer Settings Dialogue, the currently selected elements related layer is highlighted. This would make it quicker to lock/make layers invisible.
Are you talking about modifying layer combinations (in which case I agree with the wish, but don't need it that badly) ... or editing?

If editing, have you used the QuickLayers palette? Fantastic tool. Give it a key combination so you can get at it quickly and you'll love it.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
__archiben
Booster
csparchitects wrote:

as well as the quicklayers palette, you can also just right-click on the element and hide/lock from the menu there . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK

Did'nt know about quick layers (new user), helpful

But, I have the layer settings dialogue box appear on clicking on the xtra left hand side button on my microsoft mouse. I could in theory turn the selected objects layer off in about 0.43 of a second, but having to move the mouse across the screen to the quick layers box would take about 1.27 seconds.??!!
Djordje
Ace
csparchitects wrote:
But, I have the layer settings dialogue box appear on clicking on the xtra left hand side button on my microsoft mouse. I could in theory turn the selected objects layer off in about 0.43 of a second, but having to move the mouse across the screen to the quick layers box would take about 1.27 seconds.??!!
As Ben said - right click on anything (with checkmark or Mercedes cursor) and you have the Layer options there - lock, hide, by the thing you clicked on.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
As Ben said - right click on anything (with checkmark or Mercedes cursor) and you have the Layer options there - lock, hide, by the thing you clicked on.
Maybe we can add the wish to be able to accomplish this in the 3D window too?;-)

Cheers,
Link.
Djordje
Ace
Link wrote:
Maybe we can add the wish to be able to accomplish this in the 3D window too?;-)
Good one!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I assigned a key combo to the Hide Selected's command and use it all the time. Fastest way I've found.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Karl Ottenstein
Link wrote:
You bet. Start a new poll, Link! I would vote for it just for consistency - I feel that the same commands should be visible in all views and act the same.

Personally, I prefer the QuickLayers palette - which works in 3D also - because it has an 'undo' (and 'redo' for that matter) button...with history: multiple undo/redo! Fantastic addition to 8.0 that continues in 8.1.

When you use the context (right-mouse) menu - which I find more time-consuming - there is no undo. You have to open the full Layers palette to get particular hidden layers back (and then remember what they were and scan the list looking for them) - or else switch layer combos again via Navigator (or Layers) and start over again.

Locking and/or hiding elements with the QL palette can quickly change the way one works - easy to get things out of the way and bring them back, and also easy to lock and unlock things (to keep them from being affected by a stretch command, for example).

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB