Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Layer combinations - save current settings

Anonymous
Not applicable
Editing existing layer combinations is very slow and frustrating. Changing visibility of new layers to the combination requires two clicks / one layer.

It would be much easier to just adjust all layers however you want and then for example right click layer combination name and select "Save current settings".

That's my humble request.
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
That's what the "Update" button under the layer combinations is for.
Select the combination you want to change.
Turn on/off, lock/unlock, solid/wireframe and adjust layer intersection priority to all the layers as you want them and then press the "Update" button to save that layer combination.

This is the old way we had to do it many versions ago and has been a little forgotten.

Now we can select a layer and update its settings in all the layer combinations by adjusting the settings next to all the layer combinations without having to press update at all.

So it can be done layer by layer in all the combinations (no update required) or one layer combination at a time and you must "Update".

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hallo Barry,
I guess, you misunderstood.

Sample how it should be:
You are in AC, turn off visibility of some layers as you like.
Now CTRL-L >>
CLICK on LAYERCOMBINATION “XYZ” >>
NEW BUTTON “UPDATE ACCORDING CURRENT AC-VIEW”

This is currently NOT possible, as far as I know.

At the moment:
If you click in LAYER-MANAGER to a LAYCOMBI, all changes you made in AC before are overwritten by this LAYCOMBI. That’s the problem to vote for solve.

Best regard Mario
runxel
Legend
Ma_Scht wrote:
At the moment:
If you click in LAYER-MANAGER to a LAYCOMBI, all changes you made in AC before are overwritten by this LAYCOMBI. That’s the problem to vote for solve.
Haha, this happens every time to me....
Already so much time wasted. The layer combos how they are now are somehow useless, because it slows you down.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ma_Scht wrote:
Hallo Barry,
I guess, you misunderstood.

Sample how it should be:
You are in AC, turn off visibility of some layers as you like.
Now CTRL-L >>
CLICK on LAYERCOMBINATION “XYZ” >>
NEW BUTTON “UPDATE ACCORDING CURRENT AC-VIEW”

This is currently NOT possible, as far as I know.

At the moment:

Best regard Mario
Thanks for the clarification. That's exactly what I meant. I want to update layer combinations same way as the settings of views. First adjust visually what I need and then save.
Barry Kelly
Yes I see what you mean now.
You can create a "new" layer combination based on the current layer settings, but you can't modify an existing layer combination based on current settings.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hallo Barry,
and the problem with creating a NEW LAYCOMBI is, that the NEW one hast got a different ID. AC use the internal ID-No., not the name of the LAYCOMBI and a new one get a new number, as you can see in ATTRIBUTE-MANAGER.

If you cancel the old one and rename the new one like old one’s name, it will NOT be updated in AC’s excerpts (Ausschnitt-Mappe in German, next after PROJECT in Navigator). There is written “missing”.
You have to change manually to new one. That take very much time and is very fault-prone. So I generally update the existing one if needed, but I hate this more than ant in soda pop. :--)

Best Regards
Mario
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Complicated workaround is complicated, but if you need to change a lot of layers, you could use attribute manager to overwrite the old layercombination with the new one.

Append the new combo to the right until you have the correct indexnumber, then overwrite it back to the left.

Still a lot of work, but if you prefer to make layer combinations by turning off layers in your model, this will work.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the exact thing that was bugging me for years now, and the reason why I and many colleagues avoid using Layer combinations. I think that this would be an extraordinary improvement for layer combination functionality. Literally every user who knows about LC would use this function.

Regards,
Milan
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
A half workaround is this:

Open the layer settings dialog and sort the layers by visibility. Select all the layers that are currently visible by shift selecting the last one. Then select your layer combo. Your layers will still remain selected. Click on the eyeball to make them all visible. If you don't use locking or wifeframe, you could also lock or wireframe them all here as a temporary measure. For the ones that are not selected you need to manually change them to be hidden, but this is where the locked/wireframed ones will come in handy, to help you recognize the leftovers. Once you've made the correct layers visible/hidden unlock/un-wireframe them all and update your layer combo.

I've used this technique many times and it works well if you stretch your layer settings dialog out and take a screenshot if necessary.

But yes it would be nice to have an update button, so long as it didn't clutter the interface.

Cheers,
Link.
Layer Combo.jpg