BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Layers of selected elements

Victor Pop
Booster

Whenever you select a bunch of elements, Archicad automatically displays the layer of the last element selected in the bunch, and this might confuse someone into thinking that all of the selected elements are on the same layer.

This has happened to me numerous times when selecting the same type of elements which should be on the same layer but are not. 

If multiple elements are selected and they are on different layers, have the displayed layer name typed in Italic so the user is informed that the multiple elements are on multiple layers. 

Victor Cosmin Pop / Architect

www.atelierularhitext.com

AC25 INT • M1 MacBook Pro 8 GB RAM (for late nights couch working) • Windows 10 2080TI Ryzen 5950X 128 GB RAM (for burning money on electricity)
5 REPLIES 5
DGSketcher
Legend

I agree. I don't think italic is the correct solution. A more accepted convention would be to replace the layer name display with "Varies". This should then provide the option through either the Tool Settings or Selection Settings to redefine the Layers to a new value. The problem at the moment is unless the displayed layer name is different to the required layer name you cannot easily correct the wrong values.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I agree and although the issue with layers and classification/properties are more obvious it really goes for every parameter shown in the info box - it should be indicated if selected elements has varying values. There should also be a n indication for if any of the selected elements are locked and thus wont be affected by any changes. Pushing it it should also be considered if it should be indicated if there are elements of various type in the selection.

I personally think that what is needed is new element management functionality as brought forward by this wish. We really need a better overview and editing capabilities for elements. 

I understand the problem, but as thesleepofreason said, the entire info box is showing the properties for the last selected element - not just the layer.

At the very top the only clue is it will say something like "15 selected, 3 editable" - or at least it used to - I can't say I have looked lately.

I am not sure what the solution would be.

When multiple different elements are selected, the info box should go blank, but some would miss the opportunity of being able to edit the last selected element type.

Or maybe the background of the info box should change colour as a warning.

When multiple same elements are selected with different settings, then those settings should say 'varied'.

There is of course the 'Edit Selection Set' dialogue that shows the common settings for all selected elements - basically just the layer and plan pen colour.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

The wish for a indication for when a selection set has varying values is straightforward and the need for it obvious. My comment about the Info Box in general is a sidebar.   

Edit Selection Set and Find & Select indicates selected / editable rather clearly. The Info Box does not.

If I click-select multiple elements the Info Box will show info for the last selected element type and the selection section will indicated the total number of elements in the selection regardless of type.

If I then activate an architectural tool (single click) the Info Box selection section changes and will now indicate selected / editable elements of the last selected type (regardless of which tool is activated).

An improve to the Info Box could be to add a list similar to what you find in the Edit Selection Set dialog. This would give a clear overview of the element types selected and their edit status. The list should include a item for the entire selection set 

thesleepofreason_1-1641639115620.png

This could be taken even further by having it so that one can use the list to control which element type is edited through the Info Box. So if Wall is selected in the list the Info Box will show the wall settings regardless of which type was selected last.

If the entire selection set, or multiple types are selected the Info Box could show something similar to the Edit Selection Set dialog.     

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and opinions regarding this request!

I'm glad to say that we took notice and we have added this Wish into our Wish database.
(For future reference, you can refer to it as IDEA-9220)

I hope we see this get implemented in the future.
Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!