BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Library Parts - 2D symbols - Display Option

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this post, but…

I know GS is working on an update to the AC9 US library (posted multiple other places). I'd like to see some of the library parts, where 2D symbols are offered, like lights, electrical symbols and fire symbols use the US standard 2D symbols of NECA 100-1999 and NFPA 170. (The NCS is a little out of step with the trade standards in these areas.)

It would also be nice to have some currently 2D only symbols, like light switches and outlets, have a 3D version added, so they could show in elevations automatically.

Additionally I'd love to see a Display Option added in 9.5 or 10 for showing a 2D plan symbol or a parametric representation. It would be nice to layout with real scaled pieces, but be able to switch to 2D symbols for documentation, without opening all of the library parts, or placing them twice with different options.

Alex Thompson
San Francisco
Mac OS X 10.3.6, AC 9
4 REPLIES 4
Fritz T
Booster
With ref your comment re 2d library parts - Electric Symbols. Some years ago (during AC6.5) a company called Theometric (www.theometric.co.nz) offered a library for free download, that was called HPM Electrical. This was in the form of an pla archive file, that added a new library that contained a series of 2d library parts. To use it you would have to load the library from your AC library manager menu. The nice thing about it was that if you previewed the library element in the AC library item dialog, and you chose the 3d preview view, you could view a small thumbnail size colour photo of the item. The library item itself only had a 2d option. There was also a scheduling and drawing key generation option (that I never really could figure out completely..)
I believe that the production of the library was sponsored by a product supplier who obviously would benefit from product placement. The structure of that library was very easy and clear to use, the 3d option making the selection and specification phase a breeze.
Some improvements would have been the option of linking a 2d symbol to its 3d element, like AC lamps have a 2d symbol option (though this can probably veer towards the extreme when you start modelling conduit outlets), great for internal elevations, ceiling plans, etc.
When compiling wiring diagrams a lot of time is often wasted in doing changes, so what about the possibility of making the splines that constitute the wiring "sticky" so that once the link has been drawn (2d) any adjustment would retain that linkage.
And lastly the generation of schedules, quantities, drawing keys. (some of this is probably already possible using the calculate command).
AC 6, through 27

iMac 27' 3,1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

500GB OS X12.7.3 Monterey
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Thompson, wrote:
It would also be nice to have some currently 2D only symbols, like light switches and outlets, have a 3D version added, so they could show in elevations automatically.
This would be nice.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Geof Gainer
Booster
Nice? This would be faaaaaantastic! I just logged in for the sole purpose of posting just such a wish on the forum, and came across this thread.

Coordination between electrical plan, interior elevations, and an interactive schedule would make one of the most tedious parts of my CD's one of the easiest. Where you place the symbols can sometimes get jumbled, so they could move independently of the parametric after placement, like the elevation marker in v9 display options.

I'd buy v10 for that feature alone.
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 26 Build 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon,. 2022 Mac Studio, 32G ram. OS X 12.6.2
__archiben
Booster
Stephen wrote:
Thompson, wrote:
This would be nice.
should they actually be a special type of 'window' so that their position relative to the wall skin always remains the same despite changes that may be made to the wall? i guess the drawback to that is many people wouldn't even consider looking in the window tool to insert a light switch . . .

just a thought . . . what do you think?

by the way - the original wish: excellent ideas.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!