BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Linetype for witness lines in dimensions

alemanda
Advocate
Please give us the possibility to chose the linetype and color for the witness lines in dimensions (like Autocad does). It would be very useful to produce better drawings.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
8 REPLIES 8
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Alemanda you can change the colour of witness lines but you are right about line type. I have never seen different line types used but I can imagine that it could be useful to make some dimension types stand out from others.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Barry Kelly
Gerald wrote:
Alemanda you can change the colour of witness lines but ....
Yes but the colour of the dimension line changes too.
I think Alemanda was wanting different pen colours for the main dimension line and the witness line (and the marker as well).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
alemanda
Advocate
Yes Barry!
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
alemanda
Advocate
... and also the linetype.
I used to set the linetype of the witness lines as dot-line ... the drawings appear much better ... but it was with Autocad ... a lot of year ago ...
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
JaseBee
Advocate

Just like to point out that this is still at thing... still having to manually draw witness lines...

Cmon, Graphisoft!

AC 24 5004 AUS
iMac OSX (10.13.6) 4.2ghz i7
8gb ram/8gb vram
Ancha
Booster

+1!!!

jl_lt
Ace

Manually placing AND mantaining dimensions on a 3d architectural modelling software should be a thing of the past by now

Dont know if Im missing something here but the placing witness lines atm is and has been there a long time. The op is specifically pen and linetype...correct? I dont think manual placement is a normal workflow.

Just my 2c...but building a great visual schema is related to a UX/Graphic principles ie of eye path and travel, depth and focus etc. 
I try and use depth of field and luminosity staging...like the landscape rules of painting so you use the natural references of depth

For traditional B&W type of presentation, we are conveying a linear path eg the dimension line. Then a secondary indicator of the witness line ( I understand others may want to change the line type but I def dont)...they are related paths...but the pen choice of different shade would allow the simulation of atmospherics to create focal depth needed to lead the eye while maintaining geometric continuity else it becomes like a circus.

The real issue is breaking the rigid penset structure and converting it to a 'style' mechanism as is found in good DTP eg you would create a style guide for dimensions and subsets that could be managed like a favourite but have global control

Im just completing after a long dev cycle but this map is well defined for users

Aurasphere_3-1710720489986.png

Each column/pem is verbosely named as per the schema logic

Aurasphere_4-1710720666094.png

A snippet from the spreadsheet that generates it all

Aurasphere_2-1710720410375.png

That would be soooo good and start completing some of the presentation phase stuff.

I use a divisible greyscale table (noted above in the GFX section) and colour solid/60%/30% strengths for obscuration/atmospherics but its hard work then using graphic overrides vs styles. 

In summary, even just assignable pens would be a great start. Pen thicknesses should be derived from the pen table but definitely the pen colours should be a separate hierarchy in the style guide. Even just a flag that provides participation in a style guide vs unique appearance

Mark Wesse
AC26 | Win10 | Since v6.5r
Architerion - Architectural Systems Developer
Aurasphere - Acoustics
Building Biology - Human Compatible Architecture
"--- Every time...do it better ---"

Learn and get certified!