Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Linking Markers to Drawing Titles

genarch
Enthusiast
I like that the detail/section markers are able to link to specific drawings, so the markers update automatically depending on where they are in the layout set. However, this means having a separate detail drawing for each detail. I prefer to draw my details next to each other to compare datum lines, etc. If the detail marker could like to a drawing title object, then I could have several detail drawings together, each with a drawing title object, and the marker would get its info from 1) the drawing number assigned in the drawing title object and 2) from the location of the details in the layout book!
Mac OSX 11.6.8

AC26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM
12 REPLIES 12
When you say title object, do you mean an object(s) placed in the window itself, or actual drawing title objects in 10? I guess the former, since you can't give a drawing multiple titles.

Considering that the referencing they have isn't done (detail in detail, referencing in text blocks, etc), I can't see them enabling referencing arbitrary elements.

Have you tried using hotspots and such to help align adjacent drawings in the layout?

500. Not my most helpful, I realize. For my fourth house wish, I wish for a finished, all-purpose referencing tool.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
genarch
Enthusiast
Your guess is correct, I want a detail marker to link to a drawing title library object placed in the model. It's not a matter of aligning adjacent drawings (with AC 10, you can use any vertex as a hotspot in layout mode).

It's just much easier to draw details when you can see the other details in the same window. Some details are very similar, while others might relate to each other either vertically or horizontally and it'd be great to be able to draw them all in the same view.
Mac OSX 11.6.8

AC26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM
Are you in 10? If so, here's an idea, definitely a workaround. And it's just an idea, I haven't tried it. Draw your details in one window, then place multiple instances of that one drawing, with the frames adjusted for each specific detail. Then place however many markers, and use 'Refer to Drawing' to hook each marker to the appropriate instance.

...OK, I tried a simple case and it seems to work.

Maybe? Happy Friday,
James Murray

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I understand what genarch is suggesting, and agree.

I tend to set out a whole sheet load of details within some hotspots which define the available drawing sheet size. Therefore I have not been using automatic referencing. I find this a better way (for me) of setting out a sheet of details, especially being able to copy common notes etc. around the various details to which they apply. It also means that PM only has to update the one view, rather than a separate one for each placed detail (yes, still talking AC9, so maybe 10 is better here).

Just waiting for a new project so I can get started on AC10
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If the detail marker could like to a drawing title object, then I could have several detail drawings together, each with a drawing title object, and the marker would get its info from 1) the drawing number assigned in the drawing title object and 2) from the location of the details in the layout book!
This is doable as James said, even though it is a workaround. If you want the detail numbering to be automatic you could select all the multiple instances of that one drawing and assign the Drawing ID to By Layout or even Custom. Then you could title each detail, using the Set As Autotext Reference: Drawing ID ref.

If you wanted to manually number your details, you wouldn't need to make multiple instances of your drawing at all. You could just use the entire drawing as an Autotext Reference.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link

I replied to the PM you sent me (twice now ), but nothing showed up in my message section outbox or sentbox. Let me know if anything actually got to you.

Oh, and just in case it didn't, yes please, that would be great, thanks.
s2art wrote:
It also means that PM only has to update the one view, rather than a separate one for each placed detail (yes, still talking AC9, so maybe 10 is better here).
Update of internal details in 10 is extremely fast, since they're internal and 2D. I would think multiple instances of one view would be practically instantaneous. I bet you'll be able to move to automatic referencing in 10. I haven't gotten a 10 project to the heavy detailing stage yet, I'll keep watching it.
sheet load
James Murray

Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
sheet load
Kiwi accent
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
Update of internal details in 10 is extremely fast, since they're internal and 2D. I would think multiple instances of one view would be practically instantaneous.
Yes, poor excuse really.