BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Location from web maps ( like Google Maps)

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be nice to set location of the project FROM maps like Google Maps (Open Street Maps, Bing or what ever other internet maps) by dragging the pin in the right place.

Although current showing location on Google Maps is handy, it doesn't really do the job - it still requires retyping the coordinates.
Since coordinates are something strange with those minutes and seconds in their format I find people and my self not enough paciente to do it properly, even though you do it only once for a project. Even more, it can be confusing because there are two formats showing the same place :
- 52°12'19.0"N 21°02'17.8"E
- 52.205269, 21.038266

To push the limit I would suggest to think over extending the functionality:
- search by address
- importing satelite photo / map
- reading from point clouds (if possible)

Finally - Revit does it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKPrgtRZ8pk
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
No need to type - you can copy and paste the decimal number and Archicad will even convert it back to ° ' " for you.
You will need to copy twice though - one for longitude and one for latitude.

You can even copy and paste the ° ' "S and ° ' "E

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
No need to type - you can copy and paste the decimal number and Archicad will even convert it back to ° ' " for you.
You will need to copy twice though - one for longitude and one for latitude.

You can even copy and paste the ° ' "S and ° ' "E
Thanks Barry, good news, although:

1. In my opinion this is not clear enough, I wouldn't guess there is such an option. Maybe this should be written somewhere ?

2. I find this rather as a "workaround" than a "solution".
I suggest to make "solutions" to prevent looking for "workarounds".
Barry Kelly
philips wrote:
1. In my opinion this is not clear enough, I wouldn't guess there is such an option. Maybe this should be written somewhere ?
Fairly typical PC procedure.
Copy text from anywhere and paste it somewhere else.
i.e. text in an article on a news web site - copy and paste into your internet search engine to find more info
Or copy and paste from your calculator into an object parameter - less chance of mistakes.

And it is written in the user guide (page 197 in the AUS version).
To query precise data using Google Maps, zoom in to the desired location. Right-click to bring up the context menu, then choose “What’s Here?” to view (and copy, as needed) latitude/longitude data.
philips wrote:
2. I find this rather as a "workaround" than a "solution".
I suggest to make "solutions" to prevent looking for "workarounds".
The thing is it is easy from Archicad to press a button and open Google Maps to go to an exact location because that is programed into the software.
But when you are in Google Maps (or similar) how does it know that you want to send that longitude/latitude info to one of any number of open Archicads you may have running at the time?
Sure you could add a 'Browse for location" button in Archicad that will open Google Maps and allow you to find a location. But there is nothing in Google Maps to trigger the fact that you have found your location and to send the info back to Archicad.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!