Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Locking the thickness of a roof.

Anonymous
Not applicable
In respect of this thread here.

Currently when you change the angle of a roof, the perpendicular thickness stays constant whilst the vertical thickness changes to suit.

I'd like to be able to lock either the vertical thickness or the perpendicular thickness of a roof depending on which was required to stay constant when the roof angle is changed.

Personally, I'm voting important essential as I think it an obvious funtionality enhancement that has been strangely missed out, which would require minimal programming to implement.

Many thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
Eduardo Rolon
Another way to conceptualize the problem is that the settings for angle and thickness should not affect each other. Once the thickness is set for the roof, changing the angle shouldn't change the thickness. Design wise you choose the thickness of the roof once but you tweak the angle multiple times.

Using a bad analogy, imagine that rotating a wall changed its thickness. Ouch!
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Dennis Lee
Booster
Just out of curiosity, in what situation would you want to lock the vertical thickness of the roof?
For me, it seems logical to lock the perpendicular thickness (actual thickness of whatever the construction material) would be.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dennis wrote:
Just out of curiosity, in what situation would you want to lock the vertical thickness of the roof?
As you know, a roof doesn't always have to be used as a roof, it could be used as a sloping floor slab, some kind of beam or anything else that may slope.

My argument is that you should have the option if you need it. It should be my choice whether to use it, not a limitation of the software.

Thinking about it, I would also like to wish to be able to set the pivot line of the roof to the top surface rather than being fixed underneath. Again because I shouldn't be constrained if the situation required it or I wanted to do something unusual.

Having the option to do something, however unusual, is much better than it not being there at all!
Eduardo Rolon
In the project I am working on I have an inclined plane that meets a concrete slab that are 6" wide and I "want" the connection to be vertical since the plane is going to be concrete also. Since I was playing with the angles I kept wondering why it was changing since I already specified the thickness.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

TomWaltz
Participant
If you want that to be an 8" fascia, then the thickness is 8" (perpendicular to the angle of the roof). The vertical height would be irrelevant.

Archicad gives you the thickness of the roof at the current angle. The vertical height is an aftereffect of that thickness and the angle.

I would think you would complain more than an 8" profiled beam sloped is 8" vertical instead of 8" perpendicular, which is contrary to how anything is actually built.
Tom Waltz
Eduardo Rolon
Nobody is arguing about how its going to be built, I was working on a preliminary design and was going crazy as to why the thickness kept changing when I only wanted to change the angle. As to why I wanted at 6" vertical, it is my design decision at this point, that's it, I don't know if the project is going to be concrete, cmu's or wood.

As for the beam tool doing it as I "want" the "roof" to behave, I agree and GS should be consistent but being consistent does not imply limiting flexibility.

The problem is that changing one item changes another automatically and it might be a good idea to have an option to override it.

PS it is not a Fascia so it does not have to be 8" perpendicular
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
Another possible example where specifying the thickness might be important.
Example 01.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
changing the angle and forgetting that AC changes the thickness automatically might cause a problem, since now the hole thickness is wrong by 21/64"
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

TomWaltz
Participant
When you angle a wall in plan, you don't expect the thickness to change? Why should a roof? If you use the wall for a weird purpose, like trim or structure, you have to think about things like that. Roofs are no different.
Tom Waltz