BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Locking the thickness of a roof.

Anonymous
Not applicable
In respect of this thread here.

Currently when you change the angle of a roof, the perpendicular thickness stays constant whilst the vertical thickness changes to suit.

I'd like to be able to lock either the vertical thickness or the perpendicular thickness of a roof depending on which was required to stay constant when the roof angle is changed.

Personally, I'm voting important essential as I think it an obvious funtionality enhancement that has been strangely missed out, which would require minimal programming to implement.

Many thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
Eduardo Rolon
TomWaltz wrote:
When you angle a wall in plan, you don't expect the thickness to change? Why should a roof? If you use the wall for a weird purpose, like trim or structure, you have to think about things like that. Roofs are no different.
Thanks Tom for the basics reminder, I just forgot that I started to learn AC yesterday. The newbie is going to sit on the corner and sulk.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Jere
Expert
I voted average. I can see how it might be useful, but in reality I doubt I'd ever use it. Materials generally have a fixed thickness. How it gets rotated in space shouldn't change its thickness. The tools should reflect how we build.

I would vote essential for having flexibility on the pivot line location (top or bottom or offset.) Being able to offset the pivot line such as you can to the reference line in a wall composite would be much more useful. In fact, that would be a nice feature on slabs as well.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Learn and get certified!