Wishes forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longer sheet titles needed

virtual-e-home
Newcomer
One wish I have for PlotMaker 3 is to give it the ability to handle more letters in the layout names (used for sheet titles). The limit seems to be 31 letters which is fine most situations, but when you have long titles for a small house project like "FOUNDATION & 1ST FLOOR FRAMING PLAN", it just doesn't quite fit.
Brian Ernst
Virtually Home
archicad@virtual-e-home.com
Windows XP Pro, Archicad 10 (1183)
16 REPLIES 16

Djordje
Advocate
virtual-e-home wrote:
One wish I have for PlotMaker 3 is to give it the ability to handle more letters in the layout names (used for sheet titles). The limit seems to be 31 letters which is fine most situations, but when you have long titles for a small house project like "FOUNDATION & 1ST FLOOR FRAMING PLAN", it just doesn't quite fit.
WHile this is a valid wish, in PlotMaker 3.1 you can assign titles to each drawing on the sheet. IMHO there is no point in repeating the info, so you can combine the sheet title and the drawing(s) title to achieve what you want.

Another way to do it is to create subsets for Plan, Section, Elevation and then name the sheets Framing and footing, AA, BB, whatever, and put <SUBSETNAME> <LAYOUTNAME> in the title. Have tried this on a couple of the projects, worked quite nicely.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995

virtual-e-home
Newcomer
Thanks, Djorde. Very clever. A workaround, but still clever. Maybe you should add this to the tip list
Brian Ernst
Virtually Home

Karl Ottenstein
virtual-e-home wrote:
Thanks, Djorde. Very clever. A workaround, but still clever. Maybe you should add this to the tip list
I agree 🙂 The subset name is a clever workaround for getting a title to go onto two lines in the title block.

Thanks, Djordje.

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.1, iMac Pro

virtual-e-home
Newcomer
There is only one flaw with this approach (sorry Djorde, still like the tip). Drawing titles (as least on my setup) is determined through the Master which would then effect all the drawings using that Master. So you have to make sure they are all set up to handle this scenario correctly be they long or short titles. Maybe I'll try to alter my set up to accomidate.

Of course, the wish still remains since it is easier.
Brian Ernst
Virtually Home

Djordje
Advocate
virtual-e-home wrote:
Thanks

I try to provide mugs, T Shirts and chairs for you guys ... Link still wants one

It would be rather immodest to post myself anywhere ...
Djordje

Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Added to wishlist
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE

Jay Rennemeyer
Newcomer
I would also like to have PM be able to wrap the text of these autotext elements. I tried using the name of the layout to automatically generate the title, but in almost every case, the title was too long for the space I have available. I would like to be able to place a center-justified text element at a specific width that would force the title to wrap, for example:

FIRST FLOOR REFLECTED CEILING PLAN

depending on the width of the text elelment, would wrap to:

FIRST FLOOR
REFLECTED
CEILING PLAN
Jay Rennemeyer
Dell Precision M4300, 2.59 GHz Core 2 Duo, 3.5GB RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 360M, 512MB RAM
Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, SP3
AC10-1188, AC11-1210, AC12-2325
No longer using ArchiCAD

Djordje
Advocate
Jay wrote:
I would also like to have PM be able to wrap the text of these autotext elements.
Two workarounds:

1. Use Subsets for the first line (e.g. First Floor, whatever)

2. Type the multiline text in some other app, copy, paste into the AutoText field. It will wrap.
Djordje

Geoffroy Magnan
Newcomer
Djordje wrote:
2. Type the multiline text in some other app, copy, paste into the AutoText field. It will wrap.
Great, it didn't work in PM3 !

Do you know the key combination to insert these "carriage return" (such as ALT+0216 = Ø) ?
Geoffroy Magnan - Ir Architecte
Win2000 SP4 - P4 3.8 - 3 GB - GeForce 6600 - AC10 INTL

Geoffroy Magnan
Newcomer
Djordje wrote:
2. Type the multiline text in some other app
You can even type it in plotmaker itselfs... in a text box for exemple !
Geoffroy Magnan - Ir Architecte
Win2000 SP4 - P4 3.8 - 3 GB - GeForce 6600 - AC10 INTL

1505Gough
Newcomer
I tried to get this work (copy and pasting from another app). Has anyone else gotten this to work. Is there some subtle point I am missing? The autotext field is in the 'Book Info' dialog box?

Jay Rennemeyer
Newcomer
Jay wrote:
I would also like to have PM be able to wrap the text of these autotext elements. I tried using the name of the layout to automatically generate the title, but in almost every case, the title was too long for the space I have available. I would like to be able to place a center-justified text element at a specific width that would force the title to wrap, for example:

FIRST FLOOR REFLECTED CEILING PLAN

depending on the width of the text elelment, would wrap to:

FIRST FLOOR
REFLECTED
CEILING PLAN
I solved my own problem. You can insert a return character into any layout name and it will break into two lines in the text object. In my example I changed the layout name to:

FIRST FLOOR¶REFLECTED CEILING
(where ¶ is the return character)

Sure, I had to drop the word PLAN because of the length limitations, but it works well enough for almost all of the situations I have.
Jay Rennemeyer
Dell Precision M4300, 2.59 GHz Core 2 Duo, 3.5GB RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 360M, 512MB RAM
Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, SP3
AC10-1188, AC11-1210, AC12-2325
No longer using ArchiCAD

1505Gough
Newcomer
This trick with inserting a ¶ symbol does not work with me. I noticed you're on a PC, and I'm on a Mac running OSX. Has anyone out there on a Mac OSX figured out how to get the multi line auto tect to work? This is a real problem for me and I would love a solution!

Djordje
Advocate
1505Gough wrote:
This trick with inserting a ¶ symbol does not work with me. I noticed you're on a PC, and I'm on a Mac running OSX. Has anyone out there on a Mac OSX figured out how to get the multi line auto tect to work? This is a real problem for me and I would love a solution!
Try typing the multiline text in PlotMaker itself, then copying and pasting.
Djordje

Brad Elliott
Participant
I also cannot get this to work on a Mac. Can someone confirm that it works on a Mac? I have tried copying and pasting from Plotmaker and textedit as well as adding the symbol. No luck.
Mac OS10.13.6 AC23 USA Full

Hackintosh 4 GHz i7 32gb ram NVidia1060

s2art
Newcomer
Sorry to drag up an old wish, but has this multi-line issue been sorted for Macs? We want our autotext fed layout names to have a hard return in them where we specify, not as normal text wrapping.

How do you put a return into Layout Name (for example) ?

(we tried the "type in text with returns in Layout, copy and paste", but it doesn't work)

Thanks
S t u a r t . R o s e
PAUA Architects
AC22 6025 NZE
iMac Retina 27inch
3GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!