Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Mac version needs a modern interface

Erich
Contributor
While an updated interface would be very nice to have, particularly the ability to stop mac windows from disappearing beneath tool pallets, there are many other issues I would like to see addressed first. As with many things, there is a limited amount of resources to pass around.

Just my two cents....
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
25 REPLIES 25
Stress Co_
Advisor
Rob wrote:
At the moment I have all tools and commands on one floating palette (a bit cluttered due to the current UI limitations)
Wow Rob. Quite the Swiss Army Knife you've got going there.
Happy New Year
Swiss Army Palette.jpg
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Wow Rob. Quite the Swiss Army Knife you've got going there.
yes, something like that 😉
I like to have one visual point of reference for all tools.
::rk
Dwight
Newcomer
This one doesn't have everything.
I don't see the satellite dish OR the folding boat.
Dwight Atkinson
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I don't see the satellite dish OR the folding boat.
can you get that in Canada? it probably comes with an ice hockey stick too. 😉
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
abimpson wrote:
The forum category was simply entitled "User Interface Wishes"....so I posted mine 🙂
Right on! Those floating palettes drive me nuts.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well i use Mac version of ArchiCAD 12 and not seem to be old interface....
Mac version of ArchiCAD seems mostly fresh and modern than Windows version!
Absolutley not important wish...
Christiaan
Participant
Matthew wrote:
One BIG advantage to floating windows is when using multiple monitors.
For these people a tear-off interface can be implemented.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i'm also a student of architecture faculty. I like very much archicad's workflow but i'm sick of its old-fashion GUI. i think Graphisoft shoul take a look to Autodek Revit 2010 with a nice modern clean and simply interface and CONCEPTUAL FREE FORM MODELING TOOLS !!! Damn archciad need it!! Hurry!
Anonymous
Not applicable
mikoaj wrote:
... i think Graphisoft shoul take a look to Autodek Revit 2010 with a nice modern clean and simply interface ...
I agree that the new interface in Revit is modern and quite attractive, but it actually doesn't seem to work very well. It's all show, and no go!

I would encourage Graphisoft to try to stay simple if they ever think about re-doing the interface for both mac and PC. Don't faff around with context sensitive menus and other fancy stuff, it works pretty well as it is, just a nice graphical overhaul to make it look a little less windows '95 would be enough for me!

As an aside, from the perspective of a PC user, why is this thread specifically about the mac version needing a makeover? Apart from colour and font, it looks very similar to the PC version. Are these proposed changes not suitable for the PC version also, or is there something about the mac version that needs addressing separately?
Anonymous
Not applicable
"to more advanced software like Adobe's Creative Suite, most of the main features have been integrated into a single window.
Adobe have been particularly successful with their recent CS4 and the new "Application Frame" feature!"

You are probably new to Mac (a switcher from Windows). Adobe is using Carbon , an "old" framework on a Mac (one windowed mode - like on Windows). The "new" framework Cocoa has floating (but dockable) windows. Nearly all apps on Mac use Cocoa. Carbon will not be supported on Snow Leo anyway. iWork is also in Cocoa (see inspector). It's Adobe who slept away. By the way , i know Archicad from 4.55 and it always had floating palettes and it is a great advantage on multiple monitors , yes sir.

Anyway i agree that archicad interface needs a change. Up to 7.0 (including) it was clear and mac-like. But then a windows version came out and Graphisoft decided to make it familiar to windows (especially autocad) users. And so they changed ui also in mac version to make it the same on all platforms. ooops! So we stacked with this infantile graphics while everybody else went minimalistic and uncluttered (even windows are trying hard ). I have no idea what is revit (never seen it) but a simple and highend grafics in archicad ui is what we all deserve , i'm sure. Greeetings.