Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Magic Wand should recognize Columns

runxel
Legend
Something really obvious, so obvious even, it should be classified rather as a bug than a wish:
The magic wand currently doesn't know what a column is.

Try to magic wand a fill into a room which has a column in one of the walls.
The fill will flow out of the room...
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
13 REPLIES 13
runxel
Legend
mnguyen wrote:
But your input also raises a question: if a column is set as Zone boundary, should the Zone tool recognize it when using Inner Edge method?
Of course it should! No doubt there.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, it should.

But Mihn, did you try this with AC24? From the icon color in the upper left corner of that Warning Box, it seems like AC22.
It works fine for me in AC24.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Laci,

I tested with AC24 and got the same warning. I looked back at our User Guide, it is clearly stated that:

Inner Edge method: ARCHICAD defines the zone area by the inner edges of walls.

Anyhow, let's not drive this further away from the Magic Wand topic 😉 I agree that the Magic Wand should be able to recognize the contour better.

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

kmitotk
Advocate

Zone tool does recognize column shapes. So assuming you already have a zone (inner-edged) for the room, you can magic wand the zone instead of the blank space to apply fill to the room.

Note that only the columns attached to the boundary wall will be recognized and any  independent columns within the room will still be ignored unfortunately. But you can select the fill you placed and activate "Subtract from polygon" from the pet pallet and magic wand click on the zone edges around those independent columns to cut out the fill.

But by all means, magic wand should recognize columns.

Kei Mito

Architect | Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager
ArchiCAD 26 & 27 JPN USA & INT | Windows 10