Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Magic-wanding splines into tangential arcs

I wish I could magic-wand a spline into tangential arcs, so that when magic-wanding slabs or walls on a spline I got something like the red line in the picture, which otherwise requires a bit of old-fashioned laborious moulding profile hand-drafting on Archicad.

Red are the arcs quite closely following a spline not shown, blue the sectors that define their centers, green are arcs offset from the red ones; could be a wall thickness too.

[Magicwanding currently defines points along the spline so that the resulting chords will not deviate more than a given dimension from the spline, or whatever is set in Magic Wand Settings. The resulting arcs are not tangential at those points, so that transitions are not smooth, surfaces and linear elements are not continuous, and concentric arcs or thicknesses don't work.]

This actually involves a new line/polyline drafting option, a sequence of tangential arcs.
1 REPLY 1
Lingwisyer
Guru
A new line / polyline option? Not a Magic Wand rework? One that incorporates Biarc Interpolation, checks deviation then loops, bisecting the spline each time until the deviation is within the defined limits? Would be nice, and the maths has been done elsewhere before.

Though, I dislike splines in construction as I do not see them as very practical outside of low walls made of concrete, earth or similar fillable material.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!