Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Make objects/elements selectable only in their home story floor plan view, not in all visible floors

Jay
Contributor

When making design objects/elements visible in other floors besides their home story, they also become selectable in all of them in floor plan view. Please make them visible and snapable but not selectable in any other floor that is not its home story. They should only be selectable in 3D view and in their home story. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

But then some will say "I can see an element in another storey and it is in the wrong position and I can't move it".

Why would you want to see something in another storey but not be able to select/move it?

Like most wishes, users should always have a choice - you can't please all the people all the time.

You can lock an object so it can't be moved but of course that affects all storeys.

Maybe we need an option to 'lock on storeys other than Home Storey'.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hey Barry. If an object is only selectable in their home story, you can always see it and select it there if you need to modify it or cut and paste in another story. If you can't see it in its home story, most probably it is just pushed back in the draw order or you put it in the hidden layer, both which are very easy ways to isolate your object/element and bring it back to view if you so need it ("easily" but still time consuming, which is why I too suggested Graphisoft to make draw order more stable or let us assign a fixed draw order per layer or per object). Now, what I am proposing is that when you change the "Show on stories" setting of an element in the Floor Plan and Section section to make it visible ("show") on other stories, it should do exactly that, ONLY SHOW in other stories other than its home story and not make it selectable in other stories. That way, when I am in a story where I need to select a bunch of elements belonging to that particular story only, I don't select by accident elements in other stories too just because I made them visible in the story that I am working on. So visible should not mean selectable, at least not necessarily. Maybe it could make so we can treat elements in other stories the same way we treat traces, we can't select them unless we touch a special button that allows us to select them.

I get what you are saying and that is why I said we need an option to allow selection or not - or maybe just 'lock in other storeys'.

Sometimes you want something on another storey to be selectable and sometimes you don't.

As an example imagine you place a muti-storey column on the ground floor that goes up 3 or 4 floors - you set it to display on all relevant storeys.

So on ground floor it is good.

On second floor it is good.

On third floor it clashes with a wall, can't select it, have to go back to ground floor.

Now I don't know where the wall was so I have to invoke a trace & reference to the 3rd floor.

Now I can move the column.

Some people would rather just select the column in the 3rd floor and move it to suit the wall.

So I would rather have the choice to lock or not.

In fact that is what I would do now, is just lock it so it can't be moved accidentally.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I agree with Barry, I would not want selection ability limited to Home Story. It would also be a nightmare for new people going crazy about why they can not select elements in Floor Plan (because they would not know that it can not be selected on Stories other than its Home Story).

As a general rule, if I see it, I want to be able to select it and manipulate it.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27