Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Marque tool improvemens

Jan Vlach
Advocate

Marque tool is very valuable and importatn Archicad tool, recently I started using it to select a part of model and save the cropped geometry as a 3d document to better comunicate our design. to so so however, the Marque boundary offten needs to be drawn very precisely. For this reason, I would love to be able to edit boundries of a marque the same way we can edit any slab, polyline or hatch boundry.

From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7
10 REPLIES 10

Try drawing a poly line and adjust it well then activate marquee tool and by magic wand you can select this poly line as a marquee boundary.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
DGSketcher
Legend

@Mahmoud Qenawi Good option but what do you then do with the polylines if you don't want them displayed other than hide them on another layer?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
DGSketcher
Legend

@Jan Vlach I would enhance your wish with an option that when opening a 3D Document source view that has used a marquee then the marquee is restored. It is really annoying extracting a 3D document and then having to completely recreate a complex boundary just because a little widget was missed. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Thx a lot @DGSketcher, I can create a dedicated worksheet for poly lines which representing the different marquee selection boundaries and label them ( marquee 1 or view 1 etc. ) then simply I set the worksheet as a reference then from any floor plan I can trace it by marquee tool I see that help preventing on/off layers.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

@Mahmoud Qenawi Great tip, that is definitely getting tested next week 👍

Edit: 20/08/2022

Well that didn't go as expected / hoped. My marquee boundaries have to align with elements so AC was unable to differentiate the required area from the trace reference. They work fine if offset & easily identifiable.

Other options...

As Details & Worksheets are next to useless due to their ability to destroy presentation settings, BIM data and live links, I considered deploying them in linked or unlinked mode as a trace reference... and in true GS style I found you can't magic wand the boundary. (Be good to get that on the Wishlist)

Polylines on the floor plan aren't a great option as they can be tricky to select & differentiate from other 2D/3D elements. I know there are plenty of ways to pick the required polyline but they aren't ideal.

So apart from reverting back to recreating the marquee each time something changes the only other option for me is to temporarily display a layer with the required marquee boundaries formed with a transparent Fill. The Fill is easy to edit & generally appears on top of 3D elements so it is also fairly simple to select the required Fill, pick the marquee tool and then [Space Bar] the Fill to establish the marquee.  

The frustrating aspect of all this is we have Detail and Worksheet markers doing basically the same thing badly to the point of being virtually unusable from their intended purpose, and we desperately need an editable volumetric live 3D Document marker tool. Perhaps one day such an essential 3D documenting tool will be available and the Detail and Worksheet tools will at least work as expected and also work with live modelling.

Djordje
Ace

You can also place hotspots (old school) or guidelines (much more annoying) for your marquees. Better make a layer for the hotspots. They do not print, but you can snap to them in views and drawings placed on layouts, if needed.

Your solution of a worksheet is a good one, that also reminds you which areas you need...

I would also check whether to limit the height in the saved views.

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
rjwilden
Booster

In Version 24 We had a function called " Show Stored selection / marquee " shortcut F3

It seems like this disappeared in V25 and still not there in V26. This tool allowed you to bring up the last view marquee 3D image. Used it all the time. 

Why take away a useful function and not replace it? or is there another way to do this.

An Annoyed user!  Richard

Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24

@rjwilden OMG AC is going backwards. I must admit it is only recently that I have found a need for regularly opening and editing the boundary of a 3D View/Document, but instead of being removed that function could have been upgraded to deliver a saved editable view! 🙄

Yes please! Also also, I would like to be able to move the boundry of marque in 3D much like we can the 3D cut (ideally I would merge the two tools)

From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7