Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Marquee tool improvements (Renovation filters, Invert Selection)

Some additional functionality would be valuable for Marquee tool:

1. Option to have Renovation filter:

When I Want to delete elements in all floors in certain area I also need to switch also between all renovation filters and delete elements in them to be sure that particular 3D space is totally cleaned up.

AlgimantasKuprenas_0-1661324904406.png

2. Marquee Invert Selection Option:

When this option is selected it means that all elements outside marquee boundary will be affected. 

Example A: You can show 3D elements that are only outside of Marquee. Nice function when you want to cut out middle part of house/project

Example B: You can Delete All elements in All floors that are outside of marquee, and can be sure that file is cleaned up, no need to find elements that are flying around your project 🙂 Way of cleaning up.

AlgimantasKuprenas_2-1661325257051.png

GRAPHISOFT BIM Manager Training Week attendee
ArchiCAD v9 - v26 INT / NOR (5002)
cpu i5-12600K @ 5.0Ghz, ram 32GB, gpu 1060 GTX
ssd NVMe, Windows 11
ArchiCAD Discord channel: https://discord.gg/QdWxSJ33

13 REPLIES 13
Miha_M
Advisor

The "invert selection" or "invert marquee selection" is something I have been missing as well.

I am not so sure for the renovation filter marquee selection option. I have always this selection option ready in my custom work environment with the option to show existing, to-be demolished and new elements all at once.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

DGSketcher
Legend

@Algimantas Kuprenas Sorry, I'm a big fan of keep it simple so hopefully the following helps your workflow even if it doesn't support your wish.

Option 1: Isn't this just a duplication of the Renovation palette settings which can be anywhere on screen? In my template there is a Renovation Filter - "Show All" which displays all elements whatever their renovation status.

Option 2: You can already do this using Find & Select. You can apply a marquee then use F&S to limit the selection to inside & outside variants, you can also add Renovation settings "Status" and "Show on..." values to filter your selection. These criteria can also be stored so you don't have to keep creating the same F&S settings if they change.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Hi DGSketcher,

Will try your techniques and write feedback 😉 Thanks for tips.

ssd NVMe, Windows 11

ryejuan
Advisor

You can use this for Example A (CTRL + ALT + A)

ryejuan_0-1661333447546.png

Example B

Like @DGSketcher said you can use Find & Select or you can draw a line or polyline that encloses the inverse selection of your intended area then you can use Marquee then use magic wand on polyline or line.

hope this helps. 😎

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

I'am mostly using BOLD marquee tool that selects element in All floors:

Option 1. That does not work for me because you talking about "Renovation Status'es" (New, Existing, Demolished). While I'am talking about Renovation Filters. Show All elements from different Renovation Filters its not possible 😞 Could be good feature to add such into Archicad.

Option 2. "Find and Select"  also not works, because tool only works in view you currently opened (plan, section, worksheet). So I does not matter that BALD marquee tool is selected it still cannot select elements in other All storey the Marqee tool marked.

AlgimantasKuprenas_0-1661335892142.png

Thanks for tips, helped me a bit to explore Archicad more 🙂

ssd NVMe, Windows 11

Magic Wand for Marqee Tool is something new for me 🙂 Thanks for a good tip, this will help me.

For me its impossible to draw marquee that inverses selection because marquee cannot have openings in its selection.

It could be hard to understand what I use BALD marquee for 😞

AlgimantasKuprenas_0-1661336458410.png

ssd NVMe, Windows 11

The ability to display the contents of multiple renovation filters has been requested many times, I hope it is high on the wish list. Initially though you were just trying to show everything in 3D whatever their status to clean up your drawings.

I hadn't considered the Bold marquee option and how that works with F&S, clearly there could be a high risk of deleting unexpected elements if it was applied without visual checks. Your request to invert the area makes more sense when considered with the Bold marquee, but the Filter & Cut Elements in 3D mentioned by @ryejuan may offer a solution?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

The ability to display the contents of multiple renovation filters has been requested many times, I hope it is high on the wish list. Initially though you were just trying to show everything in 3D whatever their status to clean up your drawings. )

Im sorry I can’t understand this wish, aren’t show all elements achieve this?
I’m sure I’m missing something & I’m confused.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

I think @Algimantas Kuprenas may be using different "custom" renovation filters to isolate elements e.g. alternative kitchen layouts. If you do this and you only want to delete the content of those filters then you have to apply each "custom" filter in turn to find potentially hidden elements.

Say you have 3 alternative kitchen layouts and the client approves 1 then you may want to clear out 2 & 3, currently you have to display the contents of filter 2 and then filter 3 to delete the associated elements.

What users have wished for in other threads is the ability to display several renovation filters at the same time, which would help with all sorts of modelling issues including phased development or mixing alternative layouts.

Does that help?