BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Matthew Lohden's "Story deltas for multi-story hotlinks

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was passing by this thread and as there is no activity for a while (and I didn't find any wish post here) I've decided to create this wish from our fellow Matthew. I think its a very important wish and don't deserve to be forgotten... I vote essential!
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just revisiting the Wish Section...
Do you remember this really great forgotten wish/idea suggested by Matthew Lohden?
Karl Ottenstein
A 2008 post from Matthew talks about this issue:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24347&start=10#p126092

Essential then; still essential now.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Podolsky
Ace
Sorry, I didn't get it. There was update for hotlinks several years ago, is it not the same? I can place my multi-storey hotlink that can follow storey heights and elevations, as it set inside of holinked file and not as in master. What else is needed?
Karl Ottenstein
Podolsky wrote:
Sorry, I didn't get it. There was update for hotlinks several years ago, is it not the same? I can place my multi-storey hotlink that can follow storey heights and elevations, as it set inside of holinked file and not as in master. What else is needed?
It's good enough for me - thanks for pointing this out, as I haven't used multistory hotlinks in quite a while!

A limitation still, quoting the Help file, is "If you try to place a multistory module into a host project that contains fewer stories than the module you are placing, the module stories which do not “fit” in the host project will not be visible." So, if you are building a campus of buildings... will you get a warning for the missing stories or will the content just not appear in the project? I did not test. Seems ARCHICAD could offer to automatically create the new stories. Otherwise, you have to track which of many hotlinked files has the most stories and create that many in advance.
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Lingwisyer
Guru
Karl wrote:
will you get a warning for the missing stories or will the content just not appear in the project?

You get a warning when you add the module and a note next to the module in the manager. You then need to manually add the required extra stories for the relevant content to be visible, so in the end your master file will match the story count of your largest modules.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Podolsky
Ace
Then I don't see any problem currently with this. It's working and working good.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The thing is that this Offset inside the Hotlink Insertion Dialog just elevate the whole hotlink geometry. In this example, these two buildings are from the same module, with different site elevation, but both at the ground level.

I think Matthew's wish was that the "delta" would also be added to the local FPCP setting. This would make walls from the upper building appear cut on the plan. As well as the roof and slab projections.

Does this make sense?
Braza is right I think. It's all about the cut for the plan. especially with story sensitive items like stairs and their rails.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Karl Ottenstein
Lingwisyer wrote:
Karl wrote:
will you get a warning for the missing stories or will the content just not appear in the project?

You get a warning when you add the module and a note next to the module in the manager. You then need to manually add the required extra stories for the relevant content to be visible, so in the end your master file will match the story count of your largest modules.
Thanks, Ling! That makes this good anough for my personal uses, as I only ever needed a 3D campus model... and a top-down site plan. But, I see the issues that Aaron and Braza bring up concerning the FPCP view.
Learn and get certified!