Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Mental Calculation Slow Downs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fellow AC users before I make a request, I would like to ask how do you minimise the number of mental calculations when moving elements into position without an interactive temporary pop up dimension marker showing up when you click an element?

In simple terms most CAD programs have this method but we don't have it yet or will probably never get it either?

for example I have a room dividing wall with an AC interactive dimension showing 2735 and I want to move it to lets say 3020, In my head I go 3020 minus 2735 is 285 after my brain ticks over I drag the wall 285mm into place. There must be a better way to do this as it wastes allot of time for me when you can just click a temporary dimension and feed the 3020 value in???

What do you do?
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable
sboydturner wrote:
Another way I have seen some user do this is to create a temporary user origin (Alt Shift) and then move element to desired coordinate using the tracker.

Regards,
Scott
Hi Scott, Thanks for the tip, Port or Crows or none? BTW I am from the Riverland originally.

Where abouts are they placing the temp UO in relation to the element they want to move mate?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Manuel,

Port supporter, grew up in the western suburbs.

Have attached a screen shot of using this method for inserting a door with a 100mm nib, temp origin placed at stud intersection.

Scott
Screenshot 2014-02-12 11.49.42.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool, that is a good tip for placing doors as well.

Crows first for me then Port but I think Port have the better players.

Thanks for the screen shot.
Barry Kelly
For placing doors and windows (and walls, objects, etc.) you can also use the special snaps.
Just set the distance you want and set it to 'between intersections'.

Not so good for moving walls because the interections will throw the snap markers off but great for placing new elements.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry, for openings this would be a faster method than having to place a point of origin as we go about the project and I have used this method before so thanks for reminding me of it.

In the past I started using a snap grid method for placing openings but again you still need to drag a point of origin around with you.

We need faster methods for walls as these old school methods are now out of date and technology is heading towards faster touch screen input methods.

Eagles, Freo or another sport?
Barry Kelly
mthd wrote:
Eagles, Freo or another sport?
No particular favourite but I'll barrack for any team playing a Melbourne based team.
They have it too easy with travel.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes so true and SA has it better than WA as well.

I was hoping Fremantle would have beaten Hawthorn.

I wont be surprized if Freo get their first cup very soon.
J S Shelton
Participant
Hi all

I am looking for a simple calculator for mathematical conversions within ArchiCAD.

I have to admit I haven't explored ArchiCAD Calculator functionality. . . (List/Schedules/etc) and probably should. . .

I'm looking for specific measurements for elements given in feet and inches to convert to metric (not graphically) for example, a construction drawing (prior to metric conversion mid sixties here in AUS) that may be dimensioned 8'4" ceiling level (my crappy house by the way) . . .

Finding this post also reminds me to ask has someone in WA set out entire houses using our brick co-ordinates? Cavity wall construction no less? Coursing, openings, piers, the lot? Or does everyone pay for the 4D Edge extra libraries (as no doubt this functionality is built into every 4D Edge object produced)

By the way, thinking of 4D Edge, what's happened to the User Groups in Perth?
ArchiCAD SE on Windows 7 Am I the last person on earth to get 64 bits? Whee!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Beta testers of AC19, do you think my original problem has been solved with the introduction of the Blue Ring Tick Box tempoary node point marker? I can't test it yet as I do not have AC19.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You original issue was not solved by this. The tips others have provided in this thread are the way to go when modifying element locations relative to a given point.

However, when placing certain elements (e.g Doors/Windows in Walls), there is something new.
In ARCHICAD 19 it will be possible to place a Snap Reference at the corner of a Wall. Then when you place your cursor along the edge of the Wall, the Tracker will display the distance from the Snap Reference. You can then simply type the value you want the element to be placed from the Snap Reference along the edge and press ENTER, done.

So, to place a Window 1000 millimeters from a Wall corner:
1. Hover the cursor over the corner, press Q, the corner is immediately marked as Snap Reference.
2. Hover your cursor along the Wall edge, type "1000", then ENTER on your keyboard (no TAB needed to enter the Tracker, no repositioning of the User Origin is needed).
3. Click to define Window direction.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!