Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Modify Surface Finishes of Complex Profiles

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have created typical interior partitions using complex profiles to include modifiable wall base. But in using complex profiles, we have seemingly lost the ability to use the paint brush tool to independently override the surface finishes of complex profile wall.

When using a composite wall, I could, for example, paint one side of the wall blue, while the opposite side, and edge faces of the wall retained their building material appearance or whatever other surface finishes we had applied.

Now using complex profiles, if I use the paint brush tool to paint one side of the wall blue, the entire wall element - all sides and edge surfaces - are overridden.

is there an existing solution to making the complex profile and paint brush work together the way that composite walls currently function?
13 REPLIES 13
Lingwisyer
Guru
I would think that a system similar to the Morph part selection would be poor as you cannot group faces which would make modification of multiple profiles tedious...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
artktecture
Contributor

I recently took a couple full days to perfect my exterior stud wall complex profile to work exactly the way I want it to. In addition to the nominal height (which links to storeys) and nominal width (set to control the stud depth), I have 25 profile offset modifiers which control everything including the exterior sheathing, exterior rigid insulation, and interior drywall thicknesses, three horizontal bands of exterior finish that can accommodate a masonry base and cap, primary siding color, and upper accent siding color, three trim bands that can be used for shadow boards, belly bands, or trim above the masonry top cap, crown molding and baseboard height/thickness, and the thickness of the finish floor. I've tested all the modifiers thoroughly and it worked great until I tried to override the surfaces of individual components of the profile. What a let down!

Does anyone know if this wish has been added to AC25? I'm still running version 24 but will upgrade if this is available.

artKtecture uses Archicad 24/Twinmotion
Lenovo Thinkpad | Xeon E2176M@2.70 GHz | 32GB | Quadro P4200 8GB
Oculus Rift S VR tours
Contour Rollermouse Red Plus (ditch your mouse and get one of these!)
Using a highly modified Shoegnome template (Thanks Shoegnome!)

No, no change in 25.

You have to duplicate your profile (if you want to keep the original materials) and then change the building materials used for the fills or customise the edge materials on the fills.

It sounds like your complex profile is complex enough as it is, so you probably won't be wanting to add extra fills with modifiers that use different alternate materials.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks. I hadn't thought of adding extra fills for alternate materials. That would work but add quite a few more modifiers.

@Barry Kelly wrote:

No, no change in 25.

You have to duplicate your profile (if you want to keep the original materials) and then change the building materials used for the fills or customise the edge materials on the fills.

It sounds like your complex profile is complex enough as it is, so you probably won't be wanting to add extra fills with modifiers that use different alternate materials.

Barry.

artKtecture uses Archicad 24/Twinmotion
Lenovo Thinkpad | Xeon E2176M@2.70 GHz | 32GB | Quadro P4200 8GB
Oculus Rift S VR tours
Contour Rollermouse Red Plus (ditch your mouse and get one of these!)
Using a highly modified Shoegnome template (Thanks Shoegnome!)