BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Modules retain attributes they were created with

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use Modules for apartment projects all the time. It is wicked annoying when i open a module and it has the attributes of a project file I opened a couple instances ago. Layer hell ensues. Even better if the connection was bi-directional meaning when I add a profile in the file the module is being used in, it is added to the module file.
4 REPLIES 4
Lingwisyer
Guru
One way some people work to handle this issue is to build your modules within hidden stories in the main file. These are the saved out as mod files. This works well to keep attributes consistent as everything is in the one file, but does not work so well when it comes to multiple layers of Hotlinks and there is a bit more management as you now have a whole lot of objects which are not actually part of your building.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you. I use that method for some modules. It gets a bit complicated when using multiple story modules but with some thought I am sure I can get it to work. I concur with the till it breaks idea.
DavidJohnsonnh wrote:
Thank you. I use that method for some modules. It gets a bit complicated when using multiple story modules but with some thought I am sure I can get it to work. I concur with the till it breaks idea.
The only problem with using stories as workarounds for other things "besides" stories is managing them in all of the 3D views, elevations, sections, intersection/connections on other legit stories, etc. For me (just saying how I do it) is I make a policy to use stories ONLY as legit stories.

I found the way around hot linking modules into a file and having the attributes work with each other is to have a master attribute file (.aat) that keeps all items consistent with each other; or if you don't mind the added file size from the attributes, use a .pln for your "module" as opposed to a .mod file.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
vdentello
Advocate
Rex wrote:
DavidJohnsonnh wrote:
The only problem with using stories as workarounds for other things "besides" stories is managing them in all of the 3D views, elevations, sections, intersection/connections on other legit stories, etc. For me (just saying how I do it) is I make a policy to use stories ONLY as legit stories.

I found the way around hot linking modules into a file and having the attributes work with each other is to have a master attribute file (.aat) that keeps all items consistent with each other; or if you don't mind the added file size from the attributes, use a .pln for your "module" as opposed to a .mod file.
Using .pln gets even more confusing. If you change attributes inside the .pln, you have to remember to do it on main file. And, when you exclude materials, it goes even worse. Many attributes have integer values that we're not able to change.
Archicad User Since 2013
GDL Developer
Experimenting with API
from Brazil
Learn and get certified!