BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

More powerful undo. (More undo steps.)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would GREATLY appreciate some additional undo controls.
  • 1. Please allow us at the VERY least 1000 undo steps. 10,000 steps is more useful. Believe it or not 1000 steps gets filled up pretty quickly, like in half an hour. This should be customizable, for people with more limited hardware, or as hardware improves the number can increase as we need.

2. We should be able to undo a specific number of undo steps. I might like to undo 100, 500, or 5,000 steps. This could take quite a bit of time pressing CTRL+Z.

3. Let us save undo/redo "bookmarks" so we can undo a whole bunch of steps in one command, then redo right back to the next bookmark or the end of the undo queue.

4. The undo button should have a dropdown list of at least 20 of the last steps. It should be configurable so we can choose for it to show more if our display allows it.

5. Separate undo queues for each window, within reason. I'm sure this could get out of hand. User configurable naturally.

6. I am sure that this is just a pipe dream, but a non-linear undo option would be VERY nice. Let us remove a step in the undo queue without it removing all of the steps afterwards.

7. This is also probably a pipe dream, but it would also be very nice if PLN/PLCs saved a limited number of undo steps (100 minimum) in the file so we can pretty much pick up where we left off.
I am imagining a new Undo Palette, similar to the quicklayers palette. And of course (unlike the quicklayers palette) it shouldn't turn off when we close ArchiCAD. And we should be able to add all of the buttons to the toolbars and we should be able to assign any keyboard shortcut to any and all of the commands.
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
I disagree with the need for thousands of undo steps, but agree with you Alex on the other points so am voting 'essential' anyway. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
1) Configurable amount of undo step is ok and essential
2) Multiple undo is a must.
3) That would be very pleasing but i guess there is some limitation.
ie you bookmark the creation of a series of walls but not windows that you put. Undoing "walls" bookmark should "?" erase every other design step associated with it?? (even dimensions) That is a question
4) if i would say undo 40 thats enough for me
5) This is a part of 3 actually. If i implement bookmarks as seperate queues of actions then 5 is a natural
6) THis is practicaly imposible. Propose an algorithm and i will make a counter example that will mesh things up. If its as simple as deleting an element there is nothing to mention.
If it is a series of actions (i.e changed the width of all windows then 3 & 5 are just fine
Dave Jochum
Advocate
I like the basic ideas in this poll, though I would question the need and the helpfullness of thousands of undo steps. The non-linear undo is a clever idea, though there would be many steps that couldn't be undone because they depend upon other previous steps.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
5 isn't really a part of 3 really. I guess I wasn't too clear on what I meant by bookmark. Think of the term bookmark as a bookmark in a hard copy book, not a bookmark/link/favorite we use to remember web pages. It's just a point in the undo queue. You tell ArchiCAD to set a bookmark, then perform some work, then when you undo you have the option to undo everything right after the bookmark. Then you could optionally copy/paste, check a dimension, or do any number of tasks that don't affect the undo queue (like save if I get my other undo wish granted) and after you are done you can redo to the next bookmark or back to the end of the queue.

For 5 I am thinking of a certain number of undo queues. Maybe 10 or 20 windows could each have their own undo queue. They could each have maybe up to 500 or 1000 steps in them. This way, you can do some work in a detail window then do some work in section window, realize you screwed up on the detail window, change back to the detail window and undo without affecting the section window. This would take some serious thought about how to implement because we can have hundreds of windows defined in one ArchiCAD file. I would think that the decision about whether a window would have its own undo queue would have to be part of the quickview creation process. And then if you already had 10 or 20 windows with their own undo queues what do you do when you want 21? Do you (Heaven forbid) PURGE the undo queue of the window whose undo queue you don't want separate? Or can Graphisoft somehow merge it into a global undo queue? I would think this would be the most complex of all of my wishes since it is the most dynamic, user configurable, and it is quite non-linear. Even a non-linear global undo queue (ala Photoshop) is (in a way) linear. It's like ripping out a page in a book. The remaining book is still linear.

6 (the non-linear undo queue) is not impossible. Maybe it is with undo the way Graphisoft has designed it, but there are other programs that have non-linear undo queues. Photoshop and 3DSMax (sort of) come to mind. I'm envisioning a complete rewrite of the undo process, which would enable things like this and wish 7. Maybe the entire 1000 (or more) undo steps wouldn't be non-linear. But I would think at least the first 300 should (user-configurable). 100 would be faar too little to be of any use (for me). I can fill up the 99 step undo queue in about 5-10 minutes and only affect a few permanent objects. What use would a non-linear undo queue be if it only affected 3 permanent objects? I can copy to the clipboard, undo, fix the object and paste instead. That's easier. I would like to undo the set of entry doors I did earlier that day while keeping the complex solid element operation I just finished. Maybe wish 1, along with wish 2 would negate this wish a bit. Undo until you find the object unchanged, select it, copy to the clipboard, redo to the end of the undo queue. Delete the object, Paste. I do that now sometimes. Of course then dimensions and other linked things (like walls trimmed to roof and maybe solid element operations) are removed. Which is why the non-linear undo queue would be so useful. Implementation would be an issue. If we have 1000 items in the undo queue and you want to remove the first one, you obviously can't LIST them all in a dialog box. But this is something I think could be figured out with a bit of intelligent design and collaboration with the ArchiCAD user base.

I just thought of another undo wish, A REAL pipe-dream:
8 ) Maybe there could be a timestamp for each undo step. That would be so cool. You query a number and it tells you when the step was performed. Then you can get a guestimate as to how far back to undo.

The thousands of steps might not seem too important right now, but one day when you need it, you will be glad it's there.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Having the undo queue survive a save or quit would by itself be a big improvement, and I've long felt a history palette would be a great addition to ArchiCAD.

The bookmark idea is also good. This could also be accomplished with the common Revert to Saved command.

Alex's ideas regarding separate undo queues for different windows suggests some of the same concepts bantered about in Matthew's thread on multiple plan windows. Maybe the way to handle this should be a two-tabbed history palette, one tab for model operations, one for window specific ones. The model side would be global whereas the other would change with the active window.

In any event I'd keep it linear.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
10,000 undo steps??? Wonder what that would do to RAM overhead? Sounds like a "Version" save would solve this for you..
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Quite often we advice new archicad users that if they have to make more than 99 undos in a drawing task they better start drawing it from the beggining....
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rashid wrote:
10,000 undo steps??? Wonder what that would do to RAM overhead? Sounds like a "Version" save would solve this for you..
No, in order for that to work I have to know ahead of time that I might need go back. The undo is for undoing something I thought was permanent.

The 10,000 is negotiable. Really I want it to be unlimited, but I figured they would want a number, since there is one now. I put the worst case number in there. You would be suprised how many steps you use in one day. I think ArchiCAD should be able to save one long day's worth of work in the undo queue. And that number is around 10,000 steps. Maybe 5,000 is more realistic, but, as the wish stated, you can change it to a smaller number if your hardware requires it. And as you get better hardware, and as hardware gets better, you can increase the number.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
I've long felt a history palette would be a great addition to ArchiCAD.
The history palette like in photoshop is the way to go.

I like the idea, but it has to be simple to the average user. The flyout undo buttom or submenus are messy. There is already enough GUI clutter in AC. And putting it in the preference dialogs makes it to removed.
Learn and get certified!