BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Move inner posts of railing independently

Barry Kelly
I wish for the ability to move the inner posts independently so they are not centred to the node.
I have come across a situation where I would like equal panel lengths on my stair balustrade but this means the inner post nodes are not working to exact tread lengths.
Therefore I would like to move each inner post for a node to a different offset distance.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
Also each node needs to have a different offset because they are at different positions on the tread.
This can be solved by using the 'Convert Pattern to Segment Length'.
This now allows for different offsets to each node but there still needs to be the ability to adjust each post separately (or offset the post spacing to the node).

Barry.
inner_post_offset_2.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
It is possible with a work-around.
Set the segments to be equal.
Convert Pattern to Segment Length.
Move the nodes so they are centred to the required tread and then set the post offset to the tread width (post will now be centred on the next treads).
Adjust the length of each panel so they - this bit is a bit of guess work as there is nothing to snap to and distances are on the stair rake and not horizontal as measured in plan.

This is all a bit long winded and not as simple as just setting independent distances for each post.

Barry.
inner_post_offset_3.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!