Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Move objects to different story.

Anonymous
Not applicable
We need to be able to move objects from one story to another, without the necessity of cut/pasting. And the ArchiCAD command can't just copy and delete the old one because doing so will remove or at least unlink dimensions. Right now I have a canopy object that was originally created (not by me) on the floor story instead of the roof story. And it's dimensioned on the roof story. When I make it show "One story up" the line type is incorrect. I need to be able to move it to the roof story and make it show "One story down" so it appears with the dashed linetype on the floor plan. Cut/pasting will remove the dimensions. It will also shift the canopy up the height of the story. Like maybe we can have an entry above the "One Story Down", "One story up" pulldown that gives the option for home story. That way we can just tell the object which story we want the home story to be on.

Also, please graphisoft! We need to be able to show everything on multiple stories. How about a column grid? If we use lines for the column grid it won't show on multiple stories. We have to copy/paste.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alex,

I agree that we should be able to change elements' story attribute without having to copy, paste and elevate/de-elevate. I have always found this to be a significant pain in the neck. It is why I usually have a zero floor to floor height between my top story and the roof.

It seems that the simplest thing would be to add this to the Edit Selection Set dialog. With an option for relative or absolute elevation (to story or tom project origin).

I would also like a place to see what story something is on. With the ability to show through multiple stories this is not always obvious even in plan and there is no way of knowing for sure (except memory and standard practices) in 3D.

Perhaps there should be a Story pop-up like the Layer pop-up in the settings dialogs and the info palette (in addition to the selection set dialog).
Dave Jochum
Advocate
All good ideas--including the ability to show something on all layers (without changing line type display).
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was just thinking about this wish and did a search of the archives before posting a new wish. This seems like a good one to have. Another thing that is lost with the cut and past method is solid element operations and definitely include the option to move while maintaining its elevation relative to project zero elevation.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I would have been 100% behind these requests before the new Floor Plan Cut Plane and related element settings were introduced in AC 10. I now think the whole concept of stories needs to be reexamined with the goal being to combine and simplify the interaction between FPCP and Stories. An oft requested feature is multiple plan views (one per story,like S/Es, or one per view). If this was introduced the very need for stories would be called into question. In the mean time I'm waiting for some intrepid soul to build an entire project with everything set to Automatic. Braver yet, an entire project on a single story, with the FPCP defining the various plans. Obviously this is not best practice but as an academic exercise provides a glimpse of where ArchiCAD may be headed.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
In the mean time I'm waiting for some intrepid soul to build an entire project with everything set to Automatic. Braver yet, an entire project on a single story, with the FPCP defining the various plans. Obviously this is not best practice but as an academic exercise provides a glimpse of where ArchiCAD may be headed.
Ooh yes - and maybe the same pionerr could create an entire documentation set based on a few essential layouts and use layer combinations to publish all their drawings at once!
How about a column grid? If we use lines for the column grid it won't show on multiple stories. We have to copy/paste.
Looks like this has been addresses now Alex, with the new Grid add-on.

Cheers,
Link.
Geoff wrote:
some intrepid soul to build an entire project with everything set to Automatic. Braver yet, an entire project on a single story, with the FPCP defining the various plans.
Jeebus H. Christ in a chicken basket.

As it stands, AC can't reliably display windows in automatic, multistory walls. That is, we often get windows displaying on the wrong story. Pretty tough to work around.

For vertical, non-profile walls, Automatic & multistory are simply nowhere near done.
Obviously this is not best practice but as an academic exercise provides a glimpse of where ArchiCAD may be headed.
Sure, and there's that probe that's headed for Pluto, too. It's going to get there in 2015.

I am pro-story generally. As long as drawing sets have plans that represent stories, AC should have stories. They are intuitive and familiar, a hook into the real world. Like a Wall tool, it's something that one would expect from this thing called a Virtual Building. And there's no reason they preclude, on their own, further plan display flexibility.

As we all know, this topic is gigantic.

In the meantime, re the wish, it was important before, but it's essential in the context of solid ops. The cut/copy/paste method is truly obsolete.

2p,
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
I am pro-story generally. As long as drawing sets have plans that represent stories, AC should have stories. They are intuitive and familiar, a hook into the real world. Like a Wall tool, it's something that one would expect from this thing called a Virtual Building. And there's no reason they preclude, on their own, further plan display flexibility.

As we all know, this topic is gigantic.
Some form of story definition is necessary until gravity becomes symmetrical in all directions. (What to do about StairMaker in that case?)
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
What is this the Ides of March? That'll teach me to engage in any big thinking

I don't have a problem with stories as an organizational paradigm, I agree that it is an apt metaphor. I do have a problem with their rigidity. They are like boxes that can only be stacked one atop another. Fine if that's the way your project is built. Not so great if it's not. The FPCP attempts to address this but unfortunately does so by adding yet another complex setting to the mix rather than enhancing the existing story set-up. Now the two must work in concert and so far they are out of tune.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x