Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Multiple Mark Distant Area's with Applicable Pensets

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it just me or does it seem like a necessity to have the option for multiple marked distant area's on the section and elevation tools.

More often than not I can't use this aspect of the tools to the full advantage and do a bit of 2D tracing as there are "sections" or parts of the elevation that need to have different depths applied to them so they require different line weights.

Even if there was 2 or 3 marked distant area's, with the possibility to apply a completely different pen sets to each of them, as like in the dreaded autocad, you want to keep a proportion to you drawing the outlines of the building with be darker than the hatching.

So you could have all of your wall 'uncut pen lines' could be a pen 5, which in one pen set may be a 0.4 thickness, but in another pen set the same pen could be 0.3 and a different colour.

Now that my friends would be using it to its full advantage.

So what do you think?
18 REPLIES 18
Eduardo Rolon
This would make me extremely happy. I think it was discussed some years ago.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
C'mon 160 veiws and only 6 voted?

If you think its not a good idea then show that on the pole.

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK. So I voted. As if its going to help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok. So I know I'm being a pain in the backside now.

If your voting against this wish, could you present an argument? maybe you do thing differently, and you can share this knowledge with the rest of us?

Cheers

P.S.
OK. So I voted. As if its going to help.
You have to be in it to win it.

Or something like that.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I voted, but i still think its clunky.

Dare I say it but Revit may have the better solution here. Simply select elements in a viewpoint and change the pen. It will only affect that viewpoint, providing the flexibility of giving elements different appearances in each.

No messing around with pen sets, just assign elements to your standard pens and go.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Revit? What is this Voo Doo black magic you speak of?

Revit isn't a solution though it's just an alternative.

(Off topic) Do have experience with both programs? which in you opinion is better?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
I voted, but i still think its clunky.

Dare I say it but Revit may have the better solution here. Simply select elements in a viewpoint and change the pen. It will only affect that viewpoint, providing the flexibility of giving elements different appearances in each.

No messing around with pen sets, just assign elements to your standard pens and go.

Cheers,
Link.
I think something along these lines would be better. I hate when your Distant Area line is part way up a roof slope and it changes half the roof to the grey pen we use for distant objects. Whatever the solution, something needs to be done to improve the current situation.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree This is a good way to do it, but with doing that it would mean a complete reconfigure of the way Archicad behaves.

The way every object is scripted, the way every tool works, in relation to pens, would be nullified.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Some things need to be nullified for good reason.

Otherwise we'd actually need not only multiple depths that need to be split, but also angled for when we have hip roofs.

It has to change, surely.

Cheers,
Link.