Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Multiple Photorenderings in one file

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I have a client who would like to take photorenderings directly from ArchiCAD into a 'perspectives' sheet in his layout book, by using the 3D views in his navigator.

Thing is, he would like to show rough sketchy renderings in his schematic design drawings, but have photorealistic (or even just tidier sketch renderings) in his final drawings. All of which are in the same layout book.

As it stands, if we import two different styles of renderings into PlotMaker, by way of saving the camera view (using photorendering window), then only the current AC photorendering settings will be used.

What an unfortuante shortcoming. Please GS, make it so that ArchiCAD's Navigator can remember the photorendering settings assigned when the view was made, so that we can import different styles of rendering into one layout book.

While I am at it, I will also wish again for the ability to save our own sketch rendering styles.

Cheers,
Link.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Please GS, make it so that ArchiCAD's Navigator can remember the photorendering settings assigned when the view was made, so that we can import different styles of rendering into one layout book.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it does this now. If you select a 3D view in a view set, notice at the bottom of the view content pane it says "All image menu settings." This includes the photorendering settings at the time that the view is made. As one who has just gone through the process of doing three (existing, two remodel options) identical sets of photorenderings using both normal and sketch renderings (12 renderings in all). Let me just say, make sure you use ACTUAL cameras on the floor plan If you just save views without cameras, when it comes time to change settings, you have to fire up each view to redefine it. Major headache (until I used my head and placed cameras down.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
As it stands, if we import two different styles of renderings into PlotMaker, by way of saving the camera view (using photorendering window), then only the current AC photorendering settings will be used.
This bring us to the point : we need 3D display option combination as AC8.1 brought for 2D display option :
we then would be able to specify wether :
1. the view has to be vectorial, snapshot (from OpenGL window) or rendered
2. for each main option select the sub settings :
2.1 Vectorial :
a. with or without hatches, shadows, etc
b. wireframe, hidden lines or shaded
c. transparency on or off
d. etc.

2.2 OpenGL snapshot :
a. viewport size (in pixels)
b. textures / shadow / etc...

2.3 Rendering :
a. Rendering engine
b. viewport size
b. every options for this kind of rendering

This would allow us to create easily accessible 3D display option that would be saved in combination and accessed when creating 3D quickviews.

GS made it for 2D, it has to be done for 3D and solve all those problems....

I know it can be done in AC now, but it can't be easily modified and/or controlled.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Just to clarify my wish:

It would be great to have 2 different sketch renders in the same layout book. Additionally, it would be great if we could save those two renders out using our own defined (and stored) sketch settings.

Cheers,
Link.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Just to clarify my wish:

It would be great to have 2 different sketch renders in the same layout book. Additionally, it would be great if we could save those two renders out using our own defined (and stored) sketch settings.

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
Link wrote:
Just to clarify my wish:

No time to test at the moment, Link, but did you try my old tip for creating your own sketch settings?

See:
http://www.escribe.com/software/archicadtalk/m25283.html

No mug or t-shirt for that one.

Given a custom preset - will it not be memorized as part of a view setting and solve your problem?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
See:
http://www.escribe.com/software/archicadtalk/m25283.html

No mug or t-shirt for that one.
Karl - I don't think you deserve a mug or t-shirt for that tip. You should be given an award for ArchiSTUD of the year.
Given a custom preset - will it not be memorized as part of a view setting and solve your problem?
Unfortunately this does not solve the problem. Even with separate custom presets, only the current engine/sketch style is used when regenerating the view

Another big problem is that elements with exactly the same material, sitting exactly on top of each other, show a line separating them. Check the image below. This was created from a new and reset. Upon first viewing in the 3D window, it looked fine, but a couple of edits (eg. rotating the model itself) and/or a 3D navigation brought these annoying lines back in. I have tried this with contours set to off, draft and best, all with the same effects. I have found toggling the 'Show Penetration Lines' (in the special menu) on and off *and/or* switching between camera and axo views corrects the problem, but this is not conducive to maintaning a sleek and extensive CAD template!

Cheers mate,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
Link wrote:
Unfortunately this does not solve the problem. Even with separate custom presets, only the current engine/sketch style is used when regenerating the view
Ouch. Saw Djorjdje's note to the same effect today. Definitely stinks ... hope you'll start a thread on the wishlist for this if you haven't already.

I saw the same problem you had with contours getting sketched at times. Also have seen weird lines coming from the model and heading off to infinity. Clearly a little more work is needed on the sketch engine...which I hope will happen. I find it very useful. While (very) slow, it does things that cannot be done in Photoshop/Piranesi, providing image data that is often useful on its own, but also useful layered in PS/Pir with other image information.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Also have seen weird lines coming from the model and heading off to infinity.
Hmmmm... well I haven't seen them vanish off into infinity, but I have seen them between certain windows (W2 Horizontal Slide from the Windows 81 Classic folder, to be exact). See the attachment - you may have to click on it to see it properly.

The 72dpi problem is just that. Even setting the render dpi to 300 or more, doesn't seem to have any effect in PM. In Photoshop it appears to be correct. Does the problem therefore lie with PM?

Apart from that, I am loving the sketch render!

Cheers,
Link.