Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

New Composite & Display Options

MSotero
Participant
Provide new Composites... (Wall) options and Display Options for Construction Fills.

Composites:
1) Ability to define a "Structural Core" perhaps with Check boxes that identify which 2 (or more?) points are the structural faces. For example, which 2 sides are the faces of a 2x6. Then....(see below)...

Display Options:
1) Ability to select in Display options, view "Structural Core" perhaps with an additional popup palette right next to the Construction Fills popup. This way the two choices would work together. For example, if I want to make a structural drawing (or export a base to an engineer), I might select Structural Core with a Solid fill to poche it as my Display Option. My engineers don't like having all my wall finishes to contend with and I agree with them.

2) Ability to view Wall Reference Line only (similar to the Beams parameter) as second option mentioned in the popup above. For example if I want to make Roof plan, I could use this setting to display only the Reference Line of my walls. This seemingly providing a building perimeter line. I hope........
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
MSotero wrote:
Provide new Composites... (Wall) options and Display Options for Construction Fills.

Composites:
1) Ability to define a "Structural Core" perhaps with Check boxes that identify which 2 (or more?) points are the structural faces. For example, which 2 sides are the faces of a 2x6. Then....(see below)...
How would this differ from the core definition that already exists in the composites?
Display Options:
1) Ability to select in Display options, view "Structural Core" perhaps with an additional popup palette right next to the Construction Fills popup. This way the two choices would work together. For example, if I want to make a structural drawing (or export a base to an engineer), I might select Structural Core with a Solid fill to poche it as my Display Option. My engineers don't like having all my wall finishes to contend with and I agree with them.
This would be a very nice option to have for structural backgrounds.
2) Ability to view Wall Reference Line only (similar to the Beams parameter) as second option mentioned in the popup above. For example if I want to make Roof plan, I could use this setting to display only the Reference Line of my walls. This seemingly providing a building perimeter line. I hope........
This one wouldn't be much use to me since I put the reference lines on the inside face of exterior walls.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The core-only display option is a must-have. Why do you put yyour reference line on the inside of ext. walls? Do you find it easier to snap to for accurate layout of interior walls or do the walls clean-up better?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mark wrote:
Why do you put yyour reference line on the inside of ext. walls? Do you find it easier to snap to for accurate layout of interior walls or do the walls clean-up better?
The killer app (so to speak) is getting a clean connection at an inside corner of exterior walls. Since interior walls are typically thinner they cannot clean up to an outside reference line and remain flush with the interior surface.

Easier snapping used to be an advantage, but since AC started cleaning up walls more easily this has not been an issue.

Another advantage is if you use the wall tool to add details (like fascias and corner boards) using the wall tool. Again, it is not as much of an issue as it used to be, but it is better not having coincident reference lines.

I have also run into a variety of minor advantages but don't recall them at the moment.

An exception is foundation walls, since they are often furred out with additional frame & gyp walls on the inside.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
This is an old request. Here’s a poll from last December.

I think we should all make it a habit of searching for old polls before adding new ones. Nothing wrong (and a lot right) about and old topic resurfacing. A great reminder that we all really need small features like Core Only to make ArchiCAD truly work.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
COMPOSITE WALLERS....

Did anyone notice that the composite display where the fill is oriented WITH the wall does NOT work in 9.0? I just ported a plan over from 8.1 and all my PLYWOOD has disappeared from the walls going horizontal!

Anyone?
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
__archiben
Booster
vfrontiers wrote:
COMPOSITE WALLERS....

Did anyone notice that the composite display where the fill is oriented WITH the wall does NOT work in 9.0? I just ported a plan over from 8.1 and all my PLYWOOD has disappeared from the walls going horizontal!

Anyone?
works all right for me duane . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup