Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

New Feature: add named checkpoints to undo history

Professor Pickle
Advocate
OK, so this is totally new and I have never seen this implemented in any CAD software. Imagine that you're about to start working on something a bit tricky and you don't know exactly how you're gonna do it. There will be trial and error and you'll mess things up more than once. Using undo in this situation is useful but tedious. You might have to undo many steps.

Now imagine this. You set a named undo checkpoint and call it something like "Before Detail X". You go about your work on Detail X and when you've messed things up totally you just skip straight back to that checkpoint in the undo history by selecting it from the undo history palette.

This should be pretty straightforward to implement as there is already an implicit undo history, we just can't view it in a list or mark checkpoints. If I can undo 10 times then I should be able to instruct the software to just go back 10 steps automatically for me.
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

15 REPLIES 15
DGSketcher
Legend
In my experience Undo can be a bit volatile as the undo cue will be wiped under certain conditions if AC cannot rewind. I agree with your idea. Perhaps a compromise would be the ability to continue working on the current file and having the ability to "Save a copy as...", you could then create "Before Detail X" this would achieve the same result without relying on the undo process.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Lingwisyer
Guru
Like Photoshops Snapshot function.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
+1
It can be done by "Save a copy as..." and also with Backup software like Cobian Backup.
But it would be really nice to have a kind of "Time Line" within projects inside AC.
Anonymous
Not applicable
And this idea could be extended by creating a "Concept Workflow" tree, where we could establish nodes that originate branches of concepts. This could be very useful to get multiple access to every part of the design process simultaneously. Not to mention that clients could be presented with a graphical representation of the hard work his architect gets to achieve his design objectives.
DGSketcher
Legend
Braza wrote:
Not to mention that clients could be presented with a graphical representation of the hard work his architect gets to achieve his design objectives.
Some of us might be embarrassed to see that.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
jl_lt
Ace
The tree branch concept could be very interesting if implemented correctly, like a genealogic tree of your design. Meanwhile i end up with around 50 different archives for each project exactly for the reasons described by the OP
runxel
Legend
Great idea with the tree.

Reminds me of code versioning systems like git. I think modern BIM solutions should be much more like those.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it into our WishList database (please refer to it in the future as Wish #12686). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Personally, I think this will be a great feature if we can implement it! I would be happy at least with a History palette!

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT