Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

New Feature: add named checkpoints to undo history

Professor Pickle
Advocate
OK, so this is totally new and I have never seen this implemented in any CAD software. Imagine that you're about to start working on something a bit tricky and you don't know exactly how you're gonna do it. There will be trial and error and you'll mess things up more than once. Using undo in this situation is useful but tedious. You might have to undo many steps.

Now imagine this. You set a named undo checkpoint and call it something like "Before Detail X". You go about your work on Detail X and when you've messed things up totally you just skip straight back to that checkpoint in the undo history by selecting it from the undo history palette.

This should be pretty straightforward to implement as there is already an implicit undo history, we just can't view it in a list or mark checkpoints. If I can undo 10 times then I should be able to instruct the software to just go back 10 steps automatically for me.
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

15 REPLIES 15

I always find the workings of the current undo to be quite haphazard. This whish seem to imply some sort of interface that gives an overview of events which would be great.

Nader Belal
Mentor

Although I like the idea, I find it lacking with perspective of the time we are living. I prefer a GIT for Archicad.

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.

But isn't that something different. Even with a git for AC there is a need and value in being able to overview and easily move in the input history? Although a git for AC would be really interesting - basically the groundwork for a new approach to change and alternative designs.

Do you know what is GIT ? In case that you didn't know, https://git-scm.com/

And the TL;DR is that what you're asking for is already included.

So to keep it short, I want a GIT, but for the architectural practice.

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.

Or even just Photoshop's visible history list would make me happy so I can quickly click back to an earlier state by looking at the list of undo actions.

So many of the recent additions to this wish thread - which Minh noted in 2020 is now in the wish database - are really about options, revisions and all kinds of other things which are beyond simple snapshots / visible undo history which is different and more fundamental.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

It's time for GIT