Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

New OpenGL render mode

Paul King
Advisor
Can we have OpenGL "sketchy" rendering modes comparable to those in SketchUp?

So far nothing I have seen in ArchiCAD 10 is anywhere near as good stylistically as the the sketchy rendering modes of Sketchup - and unfortunately, this is genuinely costing me work.

There is a growing trend away from photo realistic presentation towards cel-shaded stylistic conceptual presentation (not fake pencil sketches either!), and in competent hands SketchUp blows ArchiCAD right out of the water in this key job winning or loosing presentation mode.

Sketch up OpenGL cel shaded mode can for example show nice semi transparent trees & people billboards, automatically nicer tonality, nicely slick hidden line removal & edge delineation etc , and all is live & navigable in OpenGL, and sadly, looks damn fantastic ! (unlike the clunky sketch rendering engine offering currently in ArchiCAD)

Please prioritise this - initial design & presentation work must not be captured by another product, or the rest will start to follow
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree.

The architectural weeklys in the UK are full of sketchup style images, which look sketchy but smart.

I for one would find a sketchup style view really useful, especially if it could be saved in vector format, not a bitmap like the current 3D window.

It would be so useful for feasibility stage work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The OGL driver should also support more options:
-Proper Lighting
-Proper Transparency
-Multi Texturing
-Hidden Lines mode
-Live sections
-Shaders
-etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Miki wrote:
The OGL driver should also support more options:
-Proper Lighting
-Proper Transparency
-Multi Texturing
-Hidden Lines mode
-Live sections
-Shaders
-etc.
And it should support shadow casting!! I stopped counting the times I have to switch back and forth between OGL and the Internal Engine just for that.

My flight simulator (X-Plane) built entirely on OGL supports real-time shadow casting.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Yes yes and yes!

Real time shadows, saved as part of view settings.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes Yes and Yes Too!
A real good visual feedback is the most important thing if you are using the computer to conceive your project.
And Sketchup is the one, and only, that gives the architect a good feeling of what he is building.
Archicad must have such a quality!
At least the simplest style available in Sketchup.
I don't realize how difficult it is as Archicad as more info to deal with than Skup, but it should be possible as they both use OGL.
Hope this will come some time soon.