Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Non-printable layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't seem to find a topic about this, so here goes...

Currently, each layer has a lock/unlock and a visible/invisible toggle.

How hard would it be to add another toggle to make a layer printable/non-printable?

Every other 2D drafing app I've ever used has this function, and it's great!

Could you add it to the next build? or must we wait for the next version?
19 REPLIES 19
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Dead Topic.

I think this Wish has been superseded by the advent of Trace References, persistent Guidelines, Snap Guides, Graphic Overrides, and more On-Screen View Options than you can shake a Morph at.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
proto
Advocate

...resurrecting this thread...

Another former acad switcher/beginning Archicad'er here that is wondering about non-print in Archicad...In acad, non-printing layers was a great way to set up drafting conventions to keep a sheet organized. I see, tho, that they are not supported.

What do people do to create nice clean drawings where the notes across details/elevations line up on the page and reference titles have a consistent relative positions.

I'm doing my first project, and I'm frustrated by the apparent looseness of placing views on sheets just eyeballing things...is there a dimensionally accurate process for these things?

Followup drafting convention question: When working in 2d for details & interior elevations, is it conventional wisdom to create individual views (1 per dtl, or 1 per int elev) or just draw whatever 2d views on a sheet layout as a single view (like all four sides (int elevs) of a given room)? Or even all the interior elevations on a sheet view?

Thanks for your patience with these very basic questions.

mac ACv27/4001, US full, Sonoma 14.1.2, 2020 iMac/2023 MacBook Pro

@proto Chuck gave one response in the last post before yours - Trace Reference, Guidelines, etc.

But, of course, any layer that is not on is non-printing at print time, right? 🙂

So, you can certainly use layer combinations when you are looking at layouts if you really must have actual guidelines/etc or some type of template to snap to... but you can also use the hotspot tool to place snappable hotspots in a Master that are viewable in all layouts using that Master.  Hotspots never print.  Ditto guidelines as Chuck suggests.

Layer combinations for the layout (including the Master) have no impact on placed drawings.

"Never" draw anything related to the project when you are in layout mode.   For the details and interior elevations etc you want things to be 'live' and derived from the model as much as possible, so, yes, a placed view (which becomes a 'drawing') for each detail and elevations.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

hotspots - how do these get used? [i did look them up, so I understand what they are but do not understand this new strategy for documentation...maybe just an example, i'm guessing there are many ways to use them...]

"Never draw anything related to the project when you in layout mode."

OK, but how do people coordinate between details/elevations that end up sharing space on a layout?

ie notes lining up, avoiding linework overlapping, coordinating sizes/shapes of views that will share space on a sheet

i'm familiar w/ guidelines from Adobe products & those make sense

i understand how trace works, but not sure how trace applies to this issue of layout coordination

thanks for your assistance,

@proto wrote:

I'm doing my first project, and I'm frustrated by the apparent looseness of placing views on sheets just eyeballing things...is there a dimensionally accurate process for these things?

If you go to the Master Layout Settings, check out the "Drawing Placement" panel, which has two options for the automatic placement of Drawings on Layouts. Here is the Help Center page discussing them:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/137577/#XREF_22630_Arranging_Multiple

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/137981/#XREF_69281_Auto_Arrange_New

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/137981/#XREF_13489_Align_and_assign

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
DGSketcher
Legend

@proto For manual placement you can drop your layout views on the sheet and then you can either move/drag the views with the "viewport" corners or you can use points within the view as base and reference points.Make sure you use the correct Move option from the context menu, one moves the whole "viewport" the other option repositions the view within the "viewport"

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Not sure this is really addressing the issue [aligning content between views, as opposed to just getting views to be organized on a layout], but I will read up on these & see what I am missing, thank you, laszlo

For aligning content between two Views or a View and a Drawing placed on a Layout, the Trace Reference is the best tool.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thanks, Laszlo, I will go back & review that tool more thoroughly.

OK...Trace is a revelation!

That's what I needed...