BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Numeric Layer Code

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I think it would be nice to have a "Layer ID" for every layer like there is in views, objects, wall and so on.
It would help us alot here in sweden were we have standards with codes instead of easyunderstanding names. Then we could have the layercode in ID and an understanding name in NAME field.

And second, the dwg-translation could translate layernames from ID, NAME and ID+NAME...

/Tobias
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
The answer to this poll will be interesting - how many people need to work with codes for layers.

This message is not to interfere with the poll, but to suggest some workarounds in the meantime, since even if the wish is granted, you'll have to wait a year or more to see it....

Have you considered using the 'extension' field of each layer name to store your ID code? (Layers do have an internal ID - which can be seen in Attribute Manager - but that is quite different from your question.)

Your question is really the same that accounting people have when they look at QuickBooks or Peachtree and say "but I want account numbers like in 1960, not names like in 2008". Possible here as it is there, with some fudging.

If you use either a code prefix or a code suffix (extension), it is relatively easy to edit the XML file for a DWG translator to delete all but the code and create a translator that just exports the code for each layer. Would not by dynamic (would have to re-edit the translator when new layers are added or changed), which I'm sure you want, but once a template is stable, one tends not to ever add or change layers...)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Have you considered using the 'extension' field of each layer name to store your ID code? (Layers do have an internal ID - which can be seen in Attribute Manager - but that is quite different from your question.)
There you said something, I'll try that, our swedish codes are often not more than 8 characters (Old AutoCad)
Internal ID wouldn't help us here.

A-01SB-- is indoor walls for example
A-01SH-- is stairs

Where A stands for Architectural layer..
Learn and get certified!