BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

OPTION TO TURN OFF THE DANG RENOVATION FILTER

matthewjj
Newcomer
The Renovation Filter is a good addition to Archicad. It causes A LOT of problems for our large firm on new projects. Many users of various skill levels and it seems things are constantly disappearing and it is almost always a result of the renovation filter. We are 6 months into using this feature and it still is an issue. PLEASE MAKE AN OPTION IN THE FILTER SETTINGS TO TURN THE THING OFF.
matt johnson
archicad since 2004
imac 27, 4.2 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, radeon 575 4 GB, macOS 10.14.6
imac, 4.0ghz i7, 16gb ram, Radeon M9 390 2GB, OS X El Capitan
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is an easy workaround I use a lot, I create a renovation filter with all states visible and not overridden. In some cases, as importing back filters is easy, I leave this only filter in my file hence no mistake is possible.
matthewjj
Newcomer
Til, thanks for your tip. We have done this as well. The problem is that items still will be or have to be identified as existing, demo or new. Just one more setting to manage. On a new building it just isn't needed.
matt johnson
archicad since 2004
imac 27, 4.2 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, radeon 575 4 GB, macOS 10.14.6
imac, 4.0ghz i7, 16gb ram, Radeon M9 390 2GB, OS X El Capitan
gpowless
Advocate
I don't think turning off the renovation filter is necessary. Many firms are still struggling with properly managing layers and the renovation filter comes in handing both in design and construction drawing stage to temporarily try different options without having to save delete, reload and revise.

Like managing layers, this is a user problem, not a CAD problem. Back in the day....it was like pulling teeth to get draftsmen (as they were called then) to properly apply line weights depending on the component. It was just a matter of training and perseverance on behalf of the managers. And yes in case you were wondering I did finally learn the difference.

Do spend a bit of time training your technicians on the proper way of managing layers, or when a new feature comes out revise your company standards to include it. The renovation filter works fine and will be even better if they improve it to have multiple levels of options....like Option Manager used to have...
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
At the very least, the "all states equally visible" filter should be a factory default!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Essential!

I find the Reno filter frustrating and disappointing. Is is too limited (crippled from my point of view) to be of any use to me so my only experience with it comes in effectively turning it off when it gets in the way.

What I find especially aggravating is that it could have been a HUGELY useful feature if it had just been better spec'd and designed from the get go. GRRR!

gpowless,

Just because you find it useful (I know that many people do) does not mean that the rest of us should have to put up with a management task we don't need.

Please note that I would use it massively if it weren't so d*mn crippled. So yeah I'm a bit ticked off to have to spend any time disabling a feature that I would really love to be able to use. An option to turn it off would do no harm at all to those who do use it and would be a welcome relief to those of us who would dearly like to use it but can't.
Anonymous
Not applicable
All we need is an button in Project Preferences (or somewhere logical) to ENABLE / DISABLE Renovation Filters for the entire project.
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
I thought I was the only one to find the renovation filter system cumbersome...

I see Im in good company...
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
gpowless
Advocate
I would still like to see it expanded. I use the Renovation filter as an option manager but it is limited to only 2 options. With a user set number of options (including off) it would greatly increase its use for "trying out" different designs.

Please let us have multiple states in the Renovation Filter. After all there s more to renovation than old and new.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless wrote:
I would still like to see it expanded. I use the Renovation filter as an option manager but it is limited to only 2 options. With a user set number of options (including off) it would greatly increase its use for "trying out" different designs.

Please let us have multiple states in the Renovation Filter. After all there s more to renovation than old and new.
I would LOVE to be able to use it for phased renovations, bid proposals, site logistics and even 4D simulations. All of which could be possible if it were spec'd right and not crippled from the get go.
Learn and get certified!