Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

OS "windows" to maintain View Settings

Stress Co_
Advisor
Is it possible to have a "window" (O.S., not an Archicad object) maintain the View Settings for that window.

With more than one window open, each a "View" with a different layer combo, If I switch between windows... I have to reset the layer combo to correspond to that window's view ("quick options").
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
10 REPLIES 10
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Marc, you can vote also

All the best to everybody for '08.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Stress Co_
Advisor
Rod wrote:
Marc, you can vote also .
Done.
Cheers Ron
-Marc
Marc Corney, Architect

Thomas Holm
Booster
Stress wrote:
Is it possible to have a "window" (O.S., not an Archicad object) maintain the View Settings for that window.

With more than one window open, each a "View" with a different layer combo, If I switch between windows... I have to reset the layer combo to correspond to that window's view ("quick options").
If you use the Navigator's View Map to switch between windows, you won't have that problem. It will use your set layer combo for each view/window. And it's a lot faster too.

On a side note, I read somewhere that if you edit the poll captions, GS will disregard your poll.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Thomas wrote:
If you use the Navigator's View Map to switch between windows, you won't have that problem. It will use your set layer combo for each view/window. And it's a lot faster too.
I think you've misinterpreted the problem. Marc wants to avoid double clicking on views all the time and would prefer a simple switch by clicking on open windows.

I see your point Marc, but wouldn't this also create as many problems as it solves? A lot of the time you would want to keep the same settings when flicking between windows.

If GS let us open multiple plan windows and gave us a keyboard shortcut that toggled between keeping the current layer combo and existing layer combos, we'd be in good shape!

Cheers,
Link.

PS. I think Thomas is correct about the Poll options. I'm sure there's rules written about that somewhere...
Thomas Holm
Booster
Link wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I think you've misinterpreted the problem. Marc wants to avoid double clicking on views all the time and would prefer a simple switch by clicking on open windows.
Sure Link, I realize what he wants, but as he wrote 'I have to reset the layer combo' I thought it possible that he wasn't aware of the easier method to use the Navigator's View Map to switch between open windows. Some think it's only for opening new ones.

I do agree on your other points though.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Link wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Marc wants to avoid double clicking on views all the time and would prefer a simple switch by clicking on open windows.
Sorry Thomas.. Link got my meaning.
Link wrote:
I see your point Marc, but wouldn't this also create as many problems as it solves? A lot of the time you would want to keep the same settings when flicking between windows.
And me yours … Just give us the option.
Link wrote:
If GS let us open multiple plan windows and gave us a keyboard shortcut that toggled between keeping the current layer combo and existing layer combos, we'd be in good shape!
YES
Thomas wrote:
but as he wrote 'I have to reset the layer combo' I thought it possible that he wasn't aware of the easier method to use the Navigator's View Map to switch between open windows. Some think it's only for opening new ones.
By reset I meant using "quick options" to change the layer combo. I use the view map too, but it has the disadvantage of re-zooming to the view's “saved” zoomed area. Clicking the window is much faster (well.. if not for reseting layers).
Marc Corney, Architect

Karl Ottenstein
Stress wrote:
I use the view map too, but it has the disadvantage of re-zooming to the view's “saved” zoomed area.
You don't have to memorize a zoom with a view...in the View Settings, select "None" for Zooming.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Stress Co_
Advisor
Karl wrote:
Stress wrote:
I use the view map too, but it has the disadvantage of re-zooming to the view's “saved” zoomed area.
You don't have to memorize a zoom with a view...

Karl
True... BUT, saving the zoom solved my issue of re-zooming twice when opening a large View (it's never where I needed it). I want my cake and to eat it too.
Marc Corney, Architect

Thomas Holm
Booster
Stress wrote:
I want my cake and to eat it too.
Well, I never managed to fix that one